GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Another t**t with a mobile phone

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 5:09PM
A narrow single track road, only just enough room for her car and my bike, she's not looking foreward, phone in one hand and trying to light a fag with the other...almost had me off my bike.

Here's a suggestion...anyone convicted of driving with a mobile phone in their hand or over the drink drive limit.
....car get's crushed....no objections Rolls Royce or clapped out Fiesta ...in the crusher...make 'em think twice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed 15 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 5:15PM
Yep agree with you there. Andy went out the other day and a bin lorry drove by really close and then pulled in so hard in front they hit the kerb, all laughing.
31 Mar 2012 5:32PM
Totally agree re the mobile phone - had a girl pass me yesterday & she was texting!! She had to swerve to miss me and looked at me as if it was my fault for disturbing her!! Crush the phone might have a more positive effect!! Wink
User_Removed 15 17.9k 8 Norway
31 Mar 2012 5:55PM
Yup. 100% Mike.

One word of advice... (a tad difficult I appreciate) but try to get the reg no of the vehicle and note the time of day - to the minute preferably. Then report them and ask the Police to check their mobile phone account to corroborate what you're saying. I've had it work for me. They pitched up at the persons house and gave a them a verbal based on the time of the call. Works a treat - especially if you know a copper... You don't? Then befriend one or two Wink Grin
Paintman Plus
13 1.3k 177 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 6:03PM
The Liberal Do-Gooding Brigade will accuse you of being T**tist. It must have been your faultSmile
discreetphoton Plus
14 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 7:53PM
I took a phone off a work colleague a week into a new job when he tried to text his partner while driving a van with four passengers in wheelchairs strapped into the back. Even tried saying "I'll just be a minute".
He never forgave me for blowing the whistle on him.
gary_d 11 576 13 Wales
31 Mar 2012 8:05PM
People phone while in the car so much I wonder how they found time to get in a vehicle before mobile phones.
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2012 8:29PM

Quote:Here's a suggestion...anyone convicted of driving with a mobile phone in their hand or over the drink drive limit.
....car get's crushed....no objections Rolls Royce or clapped out Fiesta ...in the crusher...make 'em think twice.

Just one refinement needed - don't let them get out of the vehicle first. Avoids repeat offenders.

One additional offender too - t*ts who drive at 65mph in lane 2 of a motorway where lane 1 is empty for miles. Three people (including me) had to overtake one on the M6 this evening, each of us giving a very strong hint by pulling into lane 3, passing, indicating and pulling right over into lane 1. 20 miles later, after I'd stopped for a few minutes at some services, I had to pass the same t*t again - STILL in lane 2, still oblivious to other drivers dropping strong hints. I sometimes wish my car had rocket launchers behind the headlights.
31 Mar 2012 11:25PM
If you need to answer you phone find a safe place to stop and then call them back, it really isn't difficult so i don't see why people still persist on driving whilst on their phones it's just crazy.

Quote:One additional offender too - t*ts who drive at 65mph in lane 2 of a motorway where lane 1 is empty for miles. Three people (including me) had to overtake one on the M6 this evening, each of us giving a very strong hint by pulling into lane 3, passing, indicating and pulling right over into lane 1. 20 miles later, after I'd stopped for a few minutes at some services, I had to pass the same t*t again - STILL in lane 2, still oblivious to other drivers dropping strong hints. I sometimes wish my car had rocket launchers behind the headlights.

Oh that drives me nut's and also lorry drivers who try and overtake another lorry whilst going up the a steep part of motorway and are there for about 5-10 mins going ahead then back then forward again. It's also extremely dangerous.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
1 Apr 2012 9:36AM
I saw one guy stopped on double yellow lines, single lane road, right by a roundabout, answering his phone. He wasn't driving, but he was holding up the traffic. After numerous angry beeps from the people behind him, he pulled off the road and completely blocked the pavement instead.....
1 Apr 2012 11:53AM
Some people answer their phones whilst driving and when I think about it some people really shouldn't be driving either, put a bad driver together with phone driving and it's a recipe for disaster.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
1 Apr 2012 12:06PM
Don't they all but give away hands-free kits these days with most phones? Surely the way to counter is not just a harsh penalty but throw the hands-free kits at them so they've really no excuses.
rossd 16 1.1k England
1 Apr 2012 2:55PM
I can only sympathise but any law is only as good as the means of enforcing it and with so few police around people will carry on using their phones whilst driving with little fear of being caught.

As for taking the car reg and reporting the offender................... as that famous tennis player once said ' you can not be serious'! You really expect the police to follow it up?
cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Apr 2012 4:46PM
Apparently a recent survey found that someone one a mobile, Or texting with a mobile phone whilst driving, Was more dangerous than someone driving with excess alcohol in their system.

Quite how much alcohol they describe as excess was not made clear, But I'm guessing a just over the limit amount, Rather than completely legless.

So just to add my tale to those already mentioned, There I am doing around 40 MPH along a 2 car wide unclassified road, As I approach a crossroad where I have the right of way ( the road crossing the one I'm on has 2 broken white lines ) I come of the gas and slow to 30 then 25 MPH, Getting ready to turn right at said crossroad.....!!!

I am now about 10 yards from the crossroad, When a large Japanese 4 track vehicle, Fails to stop at the junction, Or even slow down for a look see, Appears in front of me.....!!!

The woman driving it, Was clearly on the phone that was in her right hand and pressed to her right lug hole, She did notice me approaching and slammed her brakes on, The 5 or 6 children passengers where all slammed against their seat belts to......!!!!!!!

As luck would have it, I was going fairly slow because I was about to make a turn, But if I had not been going to turn right, I might well have been travelling faster.......Sad

Anyhow she is now stopped in the middle of the road, Still on the phone I hasten to add....!!! I'm still not sure if she heard me, But trust me I invented a few new expletives that morning..Grin As I drove around her vehicle and carried on my merry way, Tutting and putting as you do.....Wink

The above incident would be bad enough, IF it was an isolated case, But its not, I have lost count of the number of near misses I have had with these cretins, One of these days my 6Th sense is gonna run out of luck......!!!

Then they will pay dearly.....Wink
Eastlands 8 760 4 Northern Ireland
1 Apr 2012 4:49PM
Idiots using mobiles while driving can be joined by women who do their makeup while driving or the drivers who read newspapers, maps or documents resting on the steering wheel while they drive.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.