GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Another t**t with a mobile phone

Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
7 Apr 2012 10:28AM
Suggesting that HGV training makes you a better driver... well, sorry but the evidence I see on the roads every day just doesn't support that. It may give someone a better ability to predict the road ahead, but it also seems to remove the ability to see (or care about) what is coming up behind you....

Quote:Same old story, everyone gets tarred with the same brush, and i guarantee you'll only ever remember the bad un's, equally car drivers pull some interesting stunts, seriously i could write a book, every day i see things that astound me.

You're absolutely right, of course, and I am certainly guilty of doing that. I too see car drivers doing the most stupid things (and cyclists!!!).
When a lorry pulls into your lane as you are passing it, it scares the living sh*t out of you, when you realise you have no time to speed up, no time to brake, the only alternatives are pull out a lane and cause everyone passing you to have to try and slow down in time, or hit the horn and pray. However, the biggest accident I have ever witnessed was caused by a car doing exactly that. It caused a huge pile-up as the car in lane 2 had to swerve into lane 3 and cause everyone to hit the brakes. (it then went on to swerve right back across onto the shoulder, then right back across again to smash into the central reservation). Everyone in all three lanes were hitting their brakes, but I drove through it (I was right behind the swerving car, in lane 2) and came out of it unscathed. I have no doubt if that had been a lorry, I would have been squashed.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv 15 8.4k 3 England
7 Apr 2012 10:50AM
Having an HGV licence myself, what I would say is that it "should" make you a better and more responsible driver.
However this is not always the case especially with the pressure put on drivers by haulage firms to get deliveries done in a certain time.

Quite a few HGV drivers who deliver chemicals to my work place have complained that they are now not paid when they take breaks (which are required by law), so they end up eating and drinking at the wheel.

Of course there are also drivers who don't give a damn for anyone else on the road.

I just remember the two things my driving instructor told me when I was a fresh faced youth of 17 learning to drive.
"Everyone else on the road is an idiot." and "You only get two things by rushing, black eyes and babies."
This has served me well so far.

Smile
Lynx08 11 1.2k Scotland
7 Apr 2012 5:31PM
A while ago we were nearly taken out by a woman driving round a supermarket carpark on the phone and not watching where she was driving. I know she wasn't going fast but that makes little diference, I can't afford 8 weeks off work with a broken leg or anything!! I made a comment as she drove past us about getting off the phone and it "might" improve her driving. Thinking nothing more of it she appeared behind us in the veggie aisle and gave us a mouthfull about telling her to get off the phone. Her language was more flowery than mine. Anyway hubby then made a qucik remark about her not caring much for her unborn child ( she looked about ready to pop) and at that she start screaming and saying he was abusing a pregnant woman!! So much so the security guard walked over and asked what was going on. The mouthy woman walked off and he tried to take us to task, he soon knew what had happened and agreed with us
7 Apr 2012 6:33PM

Quote: a woman driving round a supermarket carpark on the phone

Must have been a big phone...

Smile
Tooth 14 5.8k 227 Ireland
8 Apr 2012 12:32AM
a smartphone with a driving app installed - whatever next? Smile
779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
9 Apr 2012 10:13AM

Quote:have complained that they are now not paid when they take breaks (which are required by law), so they end up eating and drinking at the wheel.

That doesn’t really make any sense – as you say they have to take breaks so where do they gain time by eating and drinking while driving not during their required breaks.

Quote:what is coming up behind you....

Of course the person behind assumes they are not in a blind-spot, driving too fast or not predicting what the HGV might do based on what they can see happening in front of the HGV.

But I suspect this is going to be a conversation along the lines of Nikon or some other make of camera and not change opinions so best left.
9 Apr 2012 11:08AM

Quote:Of course the person behind assumes they are not in a blind-spot, driving too fast or not predicting what the HGV might do based on what they can see happening in front of the HGV.

I never assume anything where HGVs are concerned, which is why I am still alive. The simple fact is this - you should not pull out into another lane if you are going to cause another vehicle to have to slow down or swerve out of the way. Even flashing an indicator once to announce the fact does not make it OK. If you are doing 50 in an HGV and cars are moving at 70, pulling out just because you don't want to slow down to 49 like the guy in front is not justifiable at all. Yes, car drivers do this as well, but if you are travelling at the speed limit, cars that pull out in front of you tend not to be going much slower than you.
steve_p 14 1.2k England
9 Apr 2012 5:42PM
I have the misfortune to have to use the M40 quite often. The biggest problem is that you cannot use Lane 3, because it is occupied by Audi,BMW,Range Rover and VW(both cars and vans). These people seem to think laws about speed limits and mobile phones do not apply to them. Should you manage to get into Lane 3, however within 10 seconds one of these drivers will be two yards from your back bumper flashing their lights.
I'm a white van man and some( not all) of us are terrible drivers as well !
9 Apr 2012 7:31PM

Quote: two yards from your back bumper flashing their lights.

That's when I slow down Smile
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
9 Apr 2012 7:34PM

Quote:That's when I slow down

Me too......... then,momentarily, I let the twin-turbos rip and make them a dot in my rear view mirror. Then I slow down again: great cure for tailgaters. Wink
9 Apr 2012 7:40PM
I find that zooming off typically tells them you want a race. I prefer to just keep them at the speed limit for as long as possible, then pull over and smile as they go past. (giving them a hand signal at the same time Wink )
9 Apr 2012 7:43PM
Well, if I'm in the outer lane I zoom off but pull into the middle lane and then let them go past......... the engines of their Ford Fiestas/Vauxhall Corsas screaming! Grin
9 Apr 2012 8:10PM
It's usually Beemers, Audis or some sort of 4WD I find...
9 Apr 2012 8:15PM
Mainly large 4x4s, of all makes, these days. I have worked out what I think is the reason for it: they are sitting in a higher position than a normal car (I don't regard 4x4s as proper cars! Wink) and any given speed seems slower from up there, than in a vehicle where the driver sits closer to the road.

Obviously the aforementioned boy racers in their Corsas/Fiestas, as well, trying to show off to their mates or g/f!
9 Apr 2012 8:34PM
So says the BMW driver Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.