Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Any non DSLR cameras with lens mounted manual focus and zoom

cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
2 May 2008 10:00PM
I certainly love my Sony R1 and would never part with it despite having just bought a DSLR. Dunno how easy they are to find but my local Sony shop sold their last one the other week for only 299 - a ridiculous price considering the Carl Zeiss lens on it Smile
riprap007 17 1.6k 37 England
3 May 2008 11:36AM
The Fuji 9100 is a very good bridge camera with a good lens, it has some issues but is a very quick to learn and to produce good results from. The reviews of the S100 FS are a bit mixed, and I'm not sure I'd go for it (although it has better dynamic range than the 9100) In going for a low end DSLR or the 9100, well you would have to get a minimum of two lens to cover the range of the Fuji bridge cams, (each would cost MORE than the Fuji) and have an OK body.

If you can see yourself in a position where you want to build up some quality lens for a future cam then a DSLR route is worthwhile, on the otherhand, the 9100 is a great package to go out and start taking images now and should last a good few years!
videobruce 17 47 United States
3 May 2008 1:03PM
I ruled out the 9100/9600 since it wouldn't be much of a step up from my Minolta DiMAGE 7hi.

I also ruled out the F100FS because of price and CA. Price aside, the horrible amounts of CA is unacceptible for a camera in that price range, or any price range for that matter.
riprap007 17 1.6k 37 England
3 May 2008 1:07PM
I've used both the Minolta and Fuji, and would say that the Fuji is significantly different, far more like a conventional DSLR, (just the stepped focus is too unatural for me, no problem if you only use AF).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.