50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Any recommendations for good colour management/printing tutorials.

justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
24 Feb 2021 10:20PM
A friend of mine has just bought her first printer, a Canon Pro 300 and she is keen to get accurate prints. She's editing on a Window's laptop.

Could anyone recommend any decent tutorials or articles, beginner friendly, on getting set up correctly for accurate screen to print results.

Rather than me try to explain and I'm not familiar with editing on a laptop anyway, it would be great if I could point her to an easy to follow guide/video.

Thanks
25 Feb 2021 1:56PM
Calibrate the screen is the first thing - but I don't think editing on a laptop is any different to editing on a desktop computer. I have been editing on a laptop for many years and, although I am no professional, I have never found there was a difference. The difference will come not in the type of computer but the size of the hard drive and the size of the RAM. My laptop has 32 Gb ram so when I process a photograph I do not run into problem with space - and I subscribe to Adobe's photography plan. But I think you may be running for her before she can walk. It depends how familiar she is with computers and what she wishes to do. Unless she is hoping to be a professional photographer and sell her work, that complete accuracy as far as colour is concerned is not strictly necessary at this stage. I would suggest she familiarise herself with editing software, attempt some prints and see where she thinks her problems lie. The printer will come with a manual and that will give her an initial 'how to' to obtain a print of a photograph. 'How to' adjust the colour should be covered in the printer's manual and anything that she has a problem understanding can usually be found by searching on YouTube. When she faces problems your knowledge of your own experiences will help her through but I think you could confuse her by being too technical right at the start. Slow steps first and then see how fast she can go.
Dave_Canon 14 2.0k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2021 3:13PM
I would recommend my website where I explain this. Colour Management
If you look under techniques, you will find Colour management.

Dave
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
25 Feb 2021 3:36PM
Thanks both for your help. The intention is to make/sell prints of artwork so colour accuracy and quality is very important. I'm familiar with getting a good screen to print match myself but I didn't want to explain and possibly complicate the process, hence looking for a very easy to follow tutorial. The reason I mentioned laptops is because I assumed they would never have the accuracy,etc of a decent ips monitor, due to poor viewing angles, etc.
Anyway, all sorted now and she's off to a flying start and initial prints look fantastic.
Thanks again for your help and thanks Dave for the link.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.