Any suggestions for a car for a new driver budget 2000-4000

Ive looked at the new shape skoda fabia and the austin mini's so far, problem is the car i have to get needs to be reliable for at least 4-5 years and has to be in insurance group 1,2,3 for me to be able to insure it, any suggestions?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

josa 7 25 Czech Republic
6 Sep 2013 6:37AM
Go for Fabia!
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
6 Sep 2013 6:37AM
A Honda, any Honda. That's not my suggestion, it's the suggestion of a writer for an auto magazine in the USA. Most reliable, and holds its value. I've had half a dozen of them, and they're worry free, and should certainly fit in the insurance category. A Honda Civic, I would think, new or used.
cats_123 Plus
15 4.9k 29 Northern Ireland
6 Sep 2013 6:46AM
My wife loved her Skoda Fabia...we currently drive a Hyundai Getz...has been a consistently reliable car (touch wood). Won't get you anywhere fast, but once up to cruising speed, performs well. Grin
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 7:51AM
mazdamx5
NaturesHaven 8 283 6 England
6 Sep 2013 8:18AM
Skoda every time...........reliable...........easyy to maintain ,a great drive, insurance is cheap (I am a bit older than you I have to admit), they are not targeted by thieves in this country............it's a snob thing, the British are to badge aware........

We have 2 Skoda cars, we would not change them for any other car and we have driven quite a few over the years..........Skoda cars keep their value very well, that's another thing to consider............

GO SKODA.............forget the snobbery....reliability is the word...........GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Start with the Fabia then after a few years move up a model.............GrinGrinGrin
6 Sep 2013 8:42AM
The wife's got a Citroen C1 and is very pleased with it. Very cheap to insure (group 1), great on petrol and only 20 a year road tax.
seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 11:52AM
I'd certainly recommend a Fabia (I have Octavia VRS and love it) but I'd also consider a Suzuki Swift, one of the best small cars on the road and highly recommended by Honest John, the Telegraph's motoring journalist. Check out his website at
this for other car reviews. He talks a lot of sense. My neighbour's a mechanic and he rates Hondas for reliability and value for money.
Jonnymyles 7 58 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 1:13PM
I had a ford fiesta for my first car, very reliable!
6 Sep 2013 1:32PM
Car for a new driver... Let's see what the criteria would be. As I see them :
- Reasonably cheap but reliable;
-Safe;
-Easy to drive;
-Providing a lot of protection in case of an accident ( which is more likely to happen than not);
-Easy to fix or replace when the time comes.
By the sum of these requirements I would recommend a used large car. It will be more reliable than used small one ( big engines and drivetrains not as easy to break), will be much safer on the road for it will keep the direction better and has a lot of metal to absorb the impact energy in case of an accident, may be as easy to drive as a small one with power steering, power brakes, and ABS as a standard, and won't be much pity to get rid of it when the body gets dented enough to put the driver off it Smile Plenty of cheap spares for old cars too - your mechanic won't need brand new parts to fix it. I find it hard to recommend any particular model, but would say that old Japanese brands ( Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi) are tough cars with a lot of life still in them when bought second hand. But get a knowledgeable friend or call on your local automotive club for inspection - that may save you a lot of time and money later.
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 4:21PM
Whilst most your suggestions, Michael, would indeed seem logical, here in the UK large engines tend to attract large insurance premiums - or, rather, for a new driver, very large premiums, not uncommonly heading for more than the value of the car itself.
mshulver1 8 20 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 6:05PM
i have a toyota aygo which is exactly the same as a Citroen C1 and a Peugeot 107, great little car, very cheap to run and reliable
779HOB 8 1.2k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 6:11PM
Depends on budget a little but I would vote for the new Fiesta very cheap to run and insure, the 1.4. I would look at a low mileage second-hand one like these - LINK I link to them as I used to work there. But like I say it's all down to budget really.
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
6 Sep 2013 6:42PM
Not long put my order in for a new Octavia Smile, however whilst in the showroom the wife was eyeing up the new Citygo as a runaround, which to all intents and purposes is a Volkswagon Up with just a different set of badges on it. It's been named as the winner in 2013 What Car? Car of the year awards, very impressing for the money......But the wife can wait a year or two Tongue
Yeah ive been given a nice 1.8 ford fiesta but insurance is near 2500 per year, which i can't afford only working part time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.