Any suggestions for a car for a new driver budget 2000-4000

bobhp 7 22
12 Sep 2013 10:39AM
If you'r buying used a lot of it is down to luck, the most unreliable car I ever owned was a Volvo which are normally very good, I have just sold a Fabia which I owned for four years with only minor problems I have now got a Suzuki Swift which is nicer to drive than the Skoda, will have to wait and see how reliable it is. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2013 10:41AM
Fiesta or Focus they are bullet proof.
12 Sep 2013 12:55PM

Quote:Yeah ive been given a nice 1.8 ford fiesta but insurance is near 2500 per year, which i can't afford only working part time.

You need to do the research on insurance costs then. Sorry, can not help you a lot with it - it's a bit different in my hemisphere...Smile
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2013 2:02PM
Is that the old diesel fiesta, shop around as we found the variance in quotes massive. Also are there any other cars in your house? We found multi-car insurance cut the price a lot. We have 3 cars on 3 linked policies and it made a massive reduction, but you need to go direct to companies like Aviva or Admiral I found. Comparison sites did not get anyywhere near close. Also you need to compare total cost. For example my 18 year old son has a Punto and the price for it to insure is close to the same as on compare the market, but the price to insure my Octavia VRS and my wife's 206 fell a lot. So we put them together and added up the price for my wife and I's cars on their own and compared to the price of all 3. We let him just pay the difference.

Plus they gave him an extra years NCB for being on her 206 for a year (including as a learner) with no crash. So Aviva worked for us.
kaybee 15 6.9k 26 Scotland
12 Sep 2013 3:48PM
Damn - my daughter has just sold her 05 Corsa 1.2sxi (37k miles and immaculate condition)

These things are out there - you just need to look and not fall in love with the first car you see
Thing is insurance wise it has to be between 1-1.8l engine and not a brand like Audi or BMW for it to be insurable, the fiesta I have is 14 years old 1.8l
collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2013 4:56PM

Quote:These things are out there - you just need to look and not fall in love with the first car you see

Alice
This the best advice you can be given when buying used cars.

If you are patient your car will come along (see Kaybee's example) which is in mint condition, low mileage and at a good and fair price. When buying, if it doesn't strike you when you first see it - walk away, if the current owner says or mentions anything like "oh yeah, I've been meaning to fix that", walk away because the rest of the car is probably looked after in the same condition, if they say "I or my mate services it" - walk away because the chance is that neither of them service it. If they do not have serviced records all MOT Cert's, walk away, if they do check the mileage and dates against the service records. If its had a big crash - walk away because in time that crash will begin to show

I have only purchased two used cars for myself in the past but purchased 4 for my sons, and helped a nuber of my friends do the same, and by sticking hard and fast to my rules we have never bought a duff car. I now am in the position of buying a new car every 9 months, so I never have to worry about used cars again.

Note: by not sticking to my rules it does not mean you wont or cant get a good car, but by sticking to them you reduce the risk of a duff car enormously. Take Kaybees advice and be patient, Good Luck
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
12 Sep 2013 10:42PM
gto-9040302.jpg

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.