Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Any views on the D90

Ridgeway 14 222 2 Ireland
19 Dec 2008 10:53PM
I am thinking of buying the D 90 , I have been using the D40,
I also have the Pentax K10.
Shout if you have any comments please good or bad.
Thanks Aidan
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
21 Dec 2008 8:18AM
The "easy" bit is the D90 is a much better (and more expensive) Nikon than your D40, and the D90 represents very good value for money.
As you have not indicated what type of photographs you take or what lenses you have it is difficult to know if the D90 is the right camera for your current needs.
As regards "unique" features if you want to take video clips of the family the D90 is easily the most affordable of the 2 DSLR cameras currently having th facility.
8 Jan 2009 8:23PM
iv just got a D90 due to what iv read in magazines and it ges beter reviews then canon 40D D90 is so low in light pictures i was told in a camera shop D90 is best in low light and the D lighting on D90 is good and works very well hope this helps
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2009 10:37PM
It depends Aidan, here goes for the Devils advocate post, to make you think through and justify your choices.

What are your Nikon and Pentax lenses, and why do you need a 3rd SLR, or to put it another way, what is it that you think the K10 and D40 lack.

Of your two cameras, the K10D would strike me as the better body, more pixels, better weather proofing, built in anti-shake.

What does the D90 add? A few more pixels, but not many. No in-camera IS, could be a bit of a loss for street and travel photography. Yes it will have movie mode, but its not a great movie mode, with most compact cameras easily outshining it for usability.

The D90 does have a CMOS sensor, so better high ISO performance but does that just compensate for the lack of IS. But the D90 is in many ways from a class below the K10D, though it is newer.

what sort of photography do you do? If its portraits and landscapse is the K10D not just as good as a D90, and more importantly is the latest Pentax with its high resolution not a better portraits and landscapes camera?

Is your money better spent on lenses? If its for sports and action the D90 only has one cross sensor, is that enough? I looked at your portfolio and am not certain the D90 would add anything to your existing kit.
Alan_Coles 15 178 11 Wales
10 Jan 2009 11:53AM
I have had a Canon Reble Xti for about 16 months and have been considering a change. My favourite photography is landscape and I am not sure if it is me but I tend to prefer then nikon shots? With this in mind I have been contemplating a change to nikon...and the D90 fits my bill - is this a good landscape camera?
jondf 14 2.8k
10 Jan 2009 12:42PM

Quote:....and the D90 fits my bill - is this a good landscape camera?

That's easy. Of course it is but so is any modern dslr camera with the right lenses in the right hands. I continue to be in awe of many images shown on EPZ that were shot through 'old-hat' equipment (D50s, 300Ds, 10/20Ds etc.) Alas, new gear doesn't necessarily mean better pics.
10 Jan 2009 6:42PM
I have got to back Jon here, I cannot think of a bad for landscapes modern camera and unless you have a 50% increase in the number of pixels I doubt the change is significant. As for colours shoot RAW or adjust the picture styles if you must shoot JPEG landscapes.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
10 Jan 2009 6:48PM
It's surely more a question of whether it may be better to get a full-frame DSLR for landscape work - but that depends on the type, and quality, of the lenses for crop and FF respectively in the range concerned.
10 Jan 2009 8:53PM
Ah but full frame costs a bit more CB, perhaps a 2nd hand 5D is a cost comparable solution.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
10 Jan 2009 8:54PM
Yep. Smile
motoads 13 14 Australia
11 Jan 2009 5:59AM
I'm with Strawman here...

your money may be of better use put towards lenses or a course... going out with a pro to learn some lessons or hiring a model if you wish to take portraits will be more beneficial to your photography than buying a new body when you already have a couple of adequte ones now.

ads :o)
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2009 9:01PM

Quote:It's surely more a question of whether it may be better to get a full-frame DSLR for landscape work -

Or is it?
True full frame has an advantage if you intend to shoot wider than about 12mm on DX/Canon APS - but few do.
True DX has an advantage in the opposite direction if you focus on small detail in the landscape.
On the assumption some-one shoots landscapes mainly between 28mm and 200mm on full frame (18-135mm equivalent viewfinder crop on DX) format hardly comes into it.
As most landscapes are taken at f11 or smaller where budget zooms generally equal pro lens resolution and sharpness much of the time lenses do not come into it.
Tripod quality, use of graduated ND or HDR technique, and weight of equipment if you walk to find locations plus being there when the light is good are usually more important than the camera format or lens.
jondf 14 2.8k
11 Jan 2009 9:05PM

Quote:Iv just got a D90 due to what iv read in magazines and it ges beter reviews then canon 40D D90 is so low in light pictures i was told in a camera shop D90 is best in low light and the D lighting on D90 is good and works very well hope this helps

Any comparison at these levels of sophistication is likely to be a hair splitting exercise.

But there're other variables to consider such as lens type with regard to available aperture and anti-shake. Also how the camera's held, use of a tripod, bean bag, prevailing light source and colour, remote shutter release, mirror lock up - to a greater or lesser degree all these and more can have an effect on how a low light shot will turn out.
Fact: the D90 and the 40D are both excellent cameras that'll deliver professional results in the right hands.....it's when they're used with left hands that the problems start Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.