Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Anyone going to Duxford this weekend

ianrobinson 5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 2:26PM
I personaly was on the ground, i was also right at the start where they come in to land.
The reason mine look like i had a hieght advantage was thanks to a long telephoto lens for 1 and waiting for the plane to be at the right angle

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
6 5.2k 29 England
2 Jul 2012 3:18PM
Thanks Laurel and Ian. I knew I was in the wrong place and by the time the planes had turned at a nice angle they were well past me. I was one of those side-on clickers. Grin Next time I'll know better and see if I can get down one end. But I was handy for the food stalls and the loo so all was not lost. Smile
javam Plus
10 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 3:55PM
As Ian and Laurel have said, it is all about the angle.

I have had a few comments over the years asking if I was in another aircraft with them, but all mine have been taken with feet firmly on the ground.

I was about mid way between the American and land warfare museums. Next time I intend to be down behind the Land Warfare one to get a better view as they break off.

Your side on ones may benefit from a bit of rotation and cropping to give them a bit more of a dynamic look. It does not 'cure all' but if the source shot is properly exposed, sharp, has the cockpit in shot (not critical, but it has to be something pretty special to work when you cannot see it), then a twist and a crop so there is more space in front than behind can make a difference.
SlowSong Plus
6 5.2k 29 England
2 Jul 2012 4:08PM
Thank you javam. Very useful tips. Smile
And I envy you your jet images - spectacular.
Carabosse Plus
12 39.8k 269 England
2 Jul 2012 5:21PM
Particularly like the Catalina shot, Javam. Smile
User_Removed 13 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 5:41PM
Don't get me wrong Chris, there's always a place for the 'Side on' shot but I just prefer to get something a little different.

If you plan to go to other airshows at Duxford, send me a PM before and perhaps we can meet up there and go over a few things?
If you fancy that, that's no problem. I'll even get us somewhere near the toilet!!! Cheers for now and never, ever give up. Smile
SlowSong Plus
6 5.2k 29 England
2 Jul 2012 6:01PM

Quote:I'll even get us somewhere near the toilet!!!
That's a very tempting offer Laurel. Grin
adrian_w Plus
7 3.5k 4 Scotland
2 Jul 2012 10:33PM
Congrats to Javam for getting POTW with In the Cold Seat. Cracking shot.
Carabosse Plus
12 39.8k 269 England
2 Jul 2012 11:15PM
A terrific photo.......... "timing is everything", as the old saying goes. Smile
javam Plus
10 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2012 12:40AM
Thanks Adrian, CB. Glad you like the Catalina shot too CB. I have been trying to get a half decent shot of that beautiful old bird for years now.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.