Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Anyone got any tips for 1Ds

park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2004 9:47PM
I'm just starting to mess with my new baby - but it's complicated, anyone got any tips on what settings to customize and the colour matrix stuff etc?
tim franklin 17 2.7k
26 Apr 2004 10:14PM
Custom Functions are a personal thing. I have the following on my 1Ds (sorry for long string of - meaningless to those w/o - numbers, but it would take eternity to write them all in full.

C.Fn 0 - 1, 1 - 1, 2 - 1, 3 - 1, 4 - 1, 5 - 2, 6 - 0, 7 - 0, 8 - 1, 9 - 1, 10 -3, 11 - 2, 12 - 0, 13 - 2, 14 - 1, 15 - 1, 16 - 1, 17 - 2, 18 - 1, 19 - 4, 20 - 2

Some of these can be changed if needed, eg #12 is mirror lock-up (0 is the default not enabled setting), and #4 - 1, which controls AF from the star button (AE lock) suits me fine for short lenses. If I was using the 70-200mm handheld, then I'd switch back to setting 0 on that one. #11 lets me move the AF point horizontally with the rear dial. Exposure compensation in auto modes is via the AF point selector button and the main dial.

As for personal functions, the only one of real importance I have set is #14, which disables lens AF hunting. If the lens can't achieve focus it won't hunt back and forth - very annoying!

The best way to do these I think is to simply decide whether you think setting a particular C.Fn will be of help in the work that YOU do. Ignore other people; what works well for them may be a pig's ear for you.

As for other stuff. Some people recommend setting sharpen to level 1, so as to get sharper images straight out the camera. I leave it at zero, as I prefer to do this in PS. Easiest way to find out about the various colour matrixes is to shoot the same scene (or better scenes) using all the modes available.

White balance: if you shoot RAW, then auto is usually fine as you can change the balance in the RAW converter. For Jpegs obviously you'll need to use the appropriate one, or create custom balances.
tim franklin 17 2.7k
26 Apr 2004 10:20PM
Nearly forgot. If you use a tripod, I heartily recommend the Really Right Stuff "L" bracket for the Arca Swiss QR system. A very fine item indeed.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Apr 2004 10:28PM
Really is a case of how long is a piece of string with the personal function settings, dependant on what type of work you intend for your baby. The easiest way to look at them is one by one, deciding which will prove useful to you and make those changes.
I never sharpen in camera, I like to have that control at processing stage.
On the colour matrix. I use setting number 4, the RGB setting for general work, 2 for portraits, 3 for landscapes and occasionally 5 for studio work where I know the target printers gamut range is limited.
Are you going to be using RAW quality for your nightclub poster work, Paul?
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2004 9:35AM
nope, in fact I won't be using the 1Ds for nightclub work, just studio and landscape/nature etc.
Cheers for the advice everyone, keep any other tips coming please. Smile
damian 17 140 Netherlands
8 Feb 2007 8:50PM
bookmark

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.