ePz Exclusive: Save 10% On Eversure Camera Insurance

Anyone help with this France photo?

altitude50 14 14.4k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 4:32PM
I went through a set of old (c1910) photos that I scanned from an album of good quality prints that I no longer have.
They mostly had their titles on the mount. This one I cannot confirm.

If anyone knows South Eastern France around Grenoble this photo of a village with castle was titled 'Ornaz', but I am sure that it is wrong. I have spent many hours on the internet doing research with maps and Google and others. (I realise that it might have changed a lot, but the castle should still be there.)
If anyone knows it, it would be much appreciated.
The area is probably between Grenoble & the Rhone.
21670_1547137443.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

woolybill1 Plus
12 24 73 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 6:17PM
No luck with Ornaz, but I've located ORNANS in Franche-Comté which has a medieval castle on a promontory above a village. But it's around 300km due north of Grenoble Blush

There are plenty of castles on promontories above villages along the Rhône, in the Alpes-Maritimes and all the way south on the Route Napoléon, and without any clearer visual clues the truth may never be known!

Bill
Tianshi_angie 4 2.3k England
10 Jan 2019 6:29PM
I am always a 'nut' when puzzles such as this arise so although I know nothing about this 'castle' I would suggest that it is a Chateau. There is a river l'Ornay south of Nantes (eastern France) and there is a Chateau L'Ornay ( not that it looks much like your image), But the River may be the site of many more Chateaux and I think this may be a useful area for more research. The Chateau is actually in a place called La Roche sur Yon. Good luck with your research.
10 Jan 2019 7:57PM
Thank you for all your efforts. I have looked into Ornans and seen several photos and it is not the place.
The reason that I know that the village is in the general Grenoble area is that I had the album with about 20 photos in, they were taken by somebody on a motoring holiday in a big open Edwardian style car, make unknown, (many hours of research on that one) in winter - probably with a plate camera judging by the quality.
The place names on the mounts were all in the area I indicated.
When I zoom in on a building on the far right there is an indistinct word on it which looks like it ends in VEZTEZ or EVTEZ which might be the name of a hotel or a beer or brandy advert or similar.
But the word on the sleeve type photo mount was clearly Ornaz. The photo might have been removed and switched at sometime. Grin
Fma7 3 900 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 9:34PM
Might the war have, erm, rearranged things?
11 Jan 2019 12:33AM
As I don't know exactly where the village was, I don't really know, but from the maps that I have seen, the front line extended from the English Channel to the North West border of France with Switzerland, quite a long way (approx 230 km.) North of Grenoble.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Jan 2019 6:09PM
Grignan?
11 Jan 2019 6:23PM
Thanks for that. It does look similar around the base, but Grignan is in a fairly flat area, the place I am looking for has steep hills both sides..
Fma7 3 900 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2019 7:44PM

Quote:As I don't know exactly where the village was, I don't really know, but from the maps that I have seen, the front line extended from the English Channel to the North West border of France with Switzerland, quite a long way (approx 230 km.) North of Grenoble

I believe there was another war a bit later on Smile
19 Jan 2019 2:50PM
I am still looking for this village in the picture, tried Google images with no luck (ruined castles etc.) I am now wondering if it might just be over the border into Italy. I keep looking. I have just found three more locations in the book with Google Earth, but it is very time consuming. Some of the descriptions by the author were wrong........
Strangely, I felt pleased that I had found them, but it takes the sensation of mystery and romance out of the journey, unsatisfying in a way!
21 Jan 2019 6:05PM
I have just found the ruined Chateau. It is at CRUAS - Ardeche region. I spent a lot of time looking for this, too much really. I can identify exactly where it was taken from but I cannot find out why the original was captioned ORNUZ though.
Quite pleased with myself.Grin
23 Feb 2019 8:47AM
I sent a print of Cruas from c1910 to the Ardeche tourist office. This morning a big envelope arrived from them with a recent a4 print of the chateau in colour and two big glossy magazines about the area and a nice letter in English, well done them!Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.