Anyone help with this France photo?

altitude50 Plus
14 13.8k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 4:32PM
I went through a set of old (c1910) photos that I scanned from an album of good quality prints that I no longer have.
They mostly had their titles on the mount. This one I cannot confirm.

If anyone knows South Eastern France around Grenoble this photo of a village with castle was titled 'Ornaz', but I am sure that it is wrong. I have spent many hours on the internet doing research with maps and Google and others. (I realise that it might have changed a lot, but the castle should still be there.)
If anyone knows it, it would be much appreciated.
The area is probably between Grenoble & the Rhone.
21670_1547137443.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

woolybill1 Plus
12 24 73 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 6:17PM
No luck with Ornaz, but I've located ORNANS in Franche-Comté which has a medieval castle on a promontory above a village. But it's around 300km due north of Grenoble Blush

There are plenty of castles on promontories above villages along the Rhône, in the Alpes-Maritimes and all the way south on the Route Napoléon, and without any clearer visual clues the truth may never be known!

Bill
10 Jan 2019 6:29PM
I am always a 'nut' when puzzles such as this arise so although I know nothing about this 'castle' I would suggest that it is a Chateau. There is a river l'Ornay south of Nantes (eastern France) and there is a Chateau L'Ornay ( not that it looks much like your image), But the River may be the site of many more Chateaux and I think this may be a useful area for more research. The Chateau is actually in a place called La Roche sur Yon. Good luck with your research.
altitude50 Plus
14 13.8k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 7:57PM
Thank you for all your efforts. I have looked into Ornans and seen several photos and it is not the place.
The reason that I know that the village is in the general Grenoble area is that I had the album with about 20 photos in, they were taken by somebody on a motoring holiday in a big open Edwardian style car, make unknown, (many hours of research on that one) in winter - probably with a plate camera judging by the quality.
The place names on the mounts were all in the area I indicated.
When I zoom in on a building on the far right there is an indistinct word on it which looks like it ends in VEZTEZ or EVTEZ which might be the name of a hotel or a beer or brandy advert or similar.
But the word on the sleeve type photo mount was clearly Ornaz. The photo might have been removed and switched at sometime. Grin
Fma7 Plus
3 873 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2019 9:34PM
Might the war have, erm, rearranged things?
altitude50 Plus
14 13.8k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2019 12:33AM
As I don't know exactly where the village was, I don't really know, but from the maps that I have seen, the front line extended from the English Channel to the North West border of France with Switzerland, quite a long way (approx 230 km.) North of Grenoble.
keithh Plus
15 25.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 Jan 2019 6:09PM
Grignan?
altitude50 Plus
14 13.8k United Kingdom
11 Jan 2019 6:23PM
Thanks for that. It does look similar around the base, but Grignan is in a fairly flat area, the place I am looking for has steep hills both sides..
Fma7 Plus
3 873 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2019 7:44PM

Quote:As I don't know exactly where the village was, I don't really know, but from the maps that I have seen, the front line extended from the English Channel to the North West border of France with Switzerland, quite a long way (approx 230 km.) North of Grenoble

I believe there was another war a bit later on Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.