Save An Extra 10% On Portrait Pro v21 With Code: NM2367

Anyone making money from Scoopt?

stevekhart 14 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2007 11:25AM
Just noticed that one of my images from the Clothes Show made it to pic of the day (Dec 4th) on Scoopt last month - unfortunately there were no takers for it, but it's made me wonder if I should do more submissions - anyone making money from it?
10 Jan 2007 10:44PM
Guess not then! Wink
phil beale 17 1.5k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2007 11:19PM
Scoopt????????
11 Jan 2007 9:02AM
Scoopt - December 4th. It's possible to sell pics to the press after a simple registration. No quality checks or anything like you get with the stock agencies.
peter shilton 16 1.1k England
11 Jan 2007 11:06AM
I wonder what the Sun tog got paid for the pic with her looking like ........ actually I cant't think of anything she resembles. Not flattering though.

She would be happier with your pic. Pity you couldn't get the legs in.
11 Jan 2007 11:16AM
Yep, better luck next time. I guess it takes practice to work out what's the best press shots for these types of things. Hoping to get to the LFW to get some more practice in and get some networking. Not sure if Scoopt is best place for such images, but its one of the easiest to submit to.
peter shilton 16 1.1k England
11 Jan 2007 11:22AM
I am registered with Scoopt but if yours was pic of the day and didn't sell, what chance have the rest got!

Probably only handy if you get that spectacular plane crash etc.
11 Jan 2007 11:26AM
Hmmm, I was thinking the same. Really need to get to more of these to find other togs and find out what they're submitting to.
peter_davey 14 1.4k England
11 Jan 2007 1:22PM
I keep it in mind, but my downfall would be not recognising a celeb if they bit my A.......... Smile
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2007 3:43PM

Quote:I keep it in mind, but my downfall would be not recognising a celeb if they bit my A.......... Smile

LOL! But I bet if you photographed it you'd sell it!
Mark_Readman 15 922
11 Jan 2007 5:39PM
Two types of pictures sell best !
rule number 1
wide shots
Shoes !
Get a full length shot with the shoes in, women want to see what shoes they are wearing, sounds daft ? then pick up any celebrity mag and you will soon see that shots with shoes in outsell ones with out ten to one.

rule number 2
long shots (tight bright sh*te)
If you do a waist up shot the use a lens of at least, 70mm, this makes the head look huge, so the magazines can use a smaller picture to illustrate the celeb clearly.
on celeb jobs we work in pairs, one does "wides" showing the outfit and one does the long shots,nice tight bright waist up shots

and rule number 3
delete anything in between, it wont sell unless something is happening in the picture that is of interest, ie, a mad axeman in the background.
11 Jan 2007 5:41PM
Thanks Mark, I like it.
pgarwood 16 36 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2007 11:39AM
Scoopt is a very useful site as they take care of the lot and once they have agreed a sale you get your money even if they dont get paid. A very useful and stress free experience. OK it takes some months for the cheque to arrive but it does and it does not bounce!!
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2007 6:41PM
Mark, have you ever used the canon 35-350??
I have been toying with the idea of getting one for just such occasions as you mention.
It happened again yetersday actually when I was covering Charles and Camillas visit to the flood areas, all the togs were there weighed down with kit. I had 3 big heavy MKIIN / MKII bodies, a 16-35 on one body, a 24-70 in the belt pouch, another body with a 70-200 and a 3rd body with a 300 on.
Another guy was there with a 5D and a 16-35 and then a 35-350 on a MKII and that was all he needed. The light was good so the slow speed of the zoom didn't matter and he had probably a quarter of the weight of equipment that the rest of us had string over our shoulders.
Wondering if anyone here has any personal experience of this lens?

As for Scoopt... I have noticed a few bylines for them recently but if you want to be taken seriously as a photographer then it's better to submit to a mre reputable agency / library. Scoopt is good if you catch a celeb doing something in a nightclub on your camera phone though!
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
28 Jul 2007 7:27PM
Sam I picked up the Canon 28-300L IS yesterday for pretty much the reasons you've given above. It's a bit early to draw any conclusions but my initial impression of it is that it's very impressive.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.