Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Aperture 3

timcordell 16 26 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 4:58PM
Hi i have aperture 2, has anybody got aperture 3 and what do you think , good upgrade or not ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA 15 1.3k England
14 Feb 2010 5:23PM
It is in Beta form at present, I quite like it but do not have previous versions to compare it with, this one is free until April Smile

MikeA.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
14 Feb 2010 5:51PM

Quote:It is in Beta form at present, I quite like it but do not have previous versions to compare it with, this one is free until April

You have got a bit mixed up.
It is Lightroom 3 that is currently released as a Beta, Aperture 3 is the "released" version which became available last week.
BangBang 11 51 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 5:55PM
I was going to my local apple store to have a good look as i may not use all the new features like gps, slide show and video. 79 is a bit steep for a couple of new features that I would use.

Stuart
catgirl73 11 144 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 6:16PM
I installed Aperture 3 Friday night and have only been playing with it. I feel like its gone for the gimmicks eg faces, places and HD. But who knows what I'll feel like in a week.
timcordell 16 26 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 6:50PM
That what i think, you have faces on iphoto 09 and 79 for gimmicks is a bit steep.
MikeA 15 1.3k England
14 Feb 2010 7:03PM

Quote:ou have got a bit mixed up.
It is Lightroom 3 that is currently released as a Beta, Aperture 3 is the "released" version which became available last week.

Ooops, Yep Smile
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
14 Feb 2010 7:08PM

Quote:79 for gimmicks is a bit steep

That price is only the upgrade, if you are starting out it is 169, which is still quite cheaper than Lightroom 2 currently at 226.22

Also, for that price you are getting " 200+ NEW FEATURES" in the upgrade Wink
mdpontin 15 6.0k Scotland
14 Feb 2010 7:52PM
Don't forget that this was effectively a full overhaul as it is now a full 64-bit app. For the average user, this won't make much difference perhaps, but it's not an insignificant change.

The "gimmicks" (i.e. 'Faces' and 'Places') are the headline grabbers, but there are other useful improvements too, such as brush-on adjustments, and adjustment presets that you can create, customise, export and import.

I've only just got it this weekend, so I've not yet had chance to do anything serious with it, but I think there's been some general tweaking and improvement across the board.

Talking of "gimmicks" (one person's gimmick is another's useful tool), I'm looking forward to having a play with the improved slideshow feature, combining some of my photos with HD video, etc.
TyChee 14 275 1 United States
20 Feb 2010 10:53PM
When you upgraded to Aperture 3, Did all of your projects form Aperture 2 automatically load themselves in the new one? I'm thinking of getting it this weekend.

Thanks,
Ty
22 Feb 2010 4:09PM
Yes, when I launched Aperture 3 it converted the library, which included all existing projects, so you shouldn't lose anything. I would suggest the precaution of taking a backup copy of your Aperture 2 library first though, just to be on the safe side.
bazhutton 12 25 England
23 Feb 2010 3:36PM
Am I right in thinking that another feature of A3 is that videos can now be included in the library & don't have to be separately stored.
23 Feb 2010 3:40PM
Not something I've tried yet, but I do know that video - including HD - can be incorporated into Aperture 3 slideshows. Whether that includes storing video in the Aperture library, or simply picking it through the media browser, I'm not sure. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.