Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Aperture or iPhoto, any luck with either.

MrBMorris 14 27 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2011 4:26PM
Hey ya'll!.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck using Iphoto or Apple's Aperture. I can't really afford Photoshop but I could swing for Aperture.

cheers people.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Aug 2011 4:49PM
Have you looked at Photoshop Elements 9....?

Its way cheaper than the full Photoshop also lots cheaper than Aperture.....Grin

Has a good RAW engine too....Wink
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
16 Aug 2011 4:59PM
Here in the UK both Aperture & Elements 9 are the same price ---- 54.99
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
16 Aug 2011 5:10PM
Never used Iphoto but can recommend Aperture as I have been using it for 7 months.

Aperture will give you nearly all of the features one would want for "general" processing.... missing is lens correction ( converging verticals etc. ) and noise reduction is not as good as with Adobe's software, but for me that is not an issue.

Has some really good presets to use as a "starting point" and excellent local adjustment brushes.

So, I suggest you download the trial of Aperture and give it a go Wink
davewaine 14 141 3 England
16 Aug 2011 5:49PM
I use Aperture all the time, but it isn't a replacement for Photoshop. It is essentially a RAW converter, certainly the best one I have ever used - although I would recommend buying a decent manual as Apple don't supply one as part of the package. I have 'Apple Aperture 3 A Workflow Guide For Digital Photographers', by Kevin McMahon and Nik Rawlinson. iPhoto is a fairly basic photo editing program that is bundled with every Mac, along with iTunes, iMovie, iWeb and GarageBand. It is okay, but is really intended for casual photographers rather than people seriously interested. It doesn't have anything like the flexibility or power of Aperture. I have Photoshop CS5, which I use in conjunction with Aperture. I would imagine that you could use Elements in a similar way.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2011 7:30PM
I'm wondering what kind of editing you are planning on doing?

Looking at your portfolio you seem to shoot in JPEG, are you planning to shoot in raw (in which case you'd get more out of a converter like Aperture)? Your existing photos seem a little bright I think your stuff would be improved if you were to calibrate your monitor and adjust the contrast / levels / curves on some which iPhoto could probably do easily.
bagman 10 65 United States
16 Aug 2011 9:11PM
i use each. have not had any problem doing most of the work i want.
most of the time i use i photo & pixelmator software watch can be got at apple or amazon . com.
they make a nice team.
frank.
robway 16 318 Wales
17 Aug 2011 6:37AM
I have just downloaded a trial copy of Aperture for my MacBook. I already use Photoshop on my Mac PC but wanted an additional program on the Laptop. First impressions is that Aperture is a good imaging program but as far as I can see so far it doesn't have the potential for layers and tools for design work. Elements is a much more all round program and I think I would opt for that rather than Aperture.

Davewaine does make some very good points and it all depends the task you wish to undertake that will determine your decision. Best of luck whichever you opt for

John
MrBMorris 14 27 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2011 9:08PM
[i]Hey, thanks all for the responses, I was looking for the usual editing things really. I know that's a very broad statement .

In regards to Chris_L , my portfolio is mainly taken on my previous bridge camera and now I have my shiny new D5100 which I'm loving, I've just started shooting in RAW to see what it's like and what I can get from it.

I think I might go for Elements 9 as it seems a more all round package.

My goals that I've set myself are a misty/ghost/drag water and a nice HDR photo

Ben
davewaine 14 141 3 England
18 Aug 2011 6:02AM
Enjoy Elements, Ben, but remember to add the Cameraraw plug-in (I think it is a free download) to convert your RAW files.

Dave
robway 16 318 Wales
18 Aug 2011 10:01PM
After reading this topic I have downloaded a trial of Pixelmator and I have been very impressed. The new updated version to be released soon sounds even more impressive. This program is for Mac only though. Well worth a trial.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.