Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Aperture Priority do I have a Problem

Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
22 Jul 2008 8:23PM

Quote:'Crofty' has a point...

Hmm, I quite like this Crofty name! Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
22 Jul 2008 8:24PM

Quote:correct reciprocity

Errmm... No. Exposure Value - yes. Reciprocity affects film - not digital. Smile
yak_farmer 15 69 England
22 Jul 2008 8:24PM
Have you run the camera through a complete set of exposure variations within manual mode to see if you can replicate the problem.
f/5.6 is fine in manual and aperture priority but do you know if the lens stops down to smaller apertures if you ask it to in manual mode?
22 Jul 2008 8:25PM

Quote:Hmm, I quite like this Crofty name!

(Oh No! Not another name change!! Wink
Art2105 12 26 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 8:25PM
Thanks I have got some great responses.

Will check your reply Yak_farmer, thanks.

Thank you Mike, Checking all points a to d

Thanks Krakman, Hope its not that ;-(
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
22 Jul 2008 8:26PM

Quote:do you know if the lens stops down to smaller apertures if you ask it to in manual mode

You can generally tell by looking into the lens as it takes the picture on a small aperture and seeing whether the twirly aperture blades physically stop down. Best done on a longer exposure (eg. a 'B' setting) so you have plenty of time to look.
22 Jul 2008 8:27PM
Good luck - keep us updated.
22 Jul 2008 8:28PM

Quote:Quote:correct reciprocityErrmm... No. Exposure Value - yes. Reciprocity affects film - not digital.

Thanks for that info I remember the term from my Film days.
22 Jul 2008 8:29PM
Can't believe the response, my head is spinning :-(
yak_farmer 15 69 England
22 Jul 2008 8:34PM

Quote:Can't believe the response, my head is spinning :-(

Well we're all eager to get you out shooting again and not turning everything you see in to an over-exposed blanket of snow!!
Big Bri 18 16.6k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2008 10:53PM

Quote: Reciprocity affects film - not digital

Actually, "reciprocity" refers to the fact that when you make a change to aperture, you need to make a reciprocal change to shutter speed. It is the fundamental principal of correct exposure, and thus applies to digital as well.

"Reciprocity failure" applies to film, which is when the exposure is so long that the reaction of the film emulsion to light stops working properly - ie the reciprocity fails, as one stop of aperture less make require 2 or more stops of exposure time.
23 Jul 2008 8:56AM
Hi again.

Thank you all for your advise, I have been trying out various options.
1... the EV is set at +-0
2... in manual mode using the origional values set in the AV mode the results are the same over exposer eventually reaching whiteout.
3... I have changed my lense to 55-200 mm set at 55mm ( just to check out if the lense was at fault ) results are worse in that whiteout occurs after on 3 shots. So do you think it's time to contact Samsung, or any other suggestions.

Thanks again.

Art
23 Jul 2008 9:17AM
Hi Again.

I thought that I would try the Tv mode shutter priority. I have just taken 6 shots within 5 minutes and the result is very much the same 6 different speeds with each image varing in brightness and contrast ending with whiteout.

Now desperate! off to the Norweigan Fjords in 2 weeks annual hols with a less than a fully functional camera :-(

Thanks Art
yak_farmer 15 69 England
23 Jul 2008 9:34AM
I'd go straight back to the shop if you purchased locally or contact the online vendor if you purchased online and explain the situation. It certainly sounds to me like you've a faulty camera body, looks as though it's not able to shut down the aperture. Get it exchanged and fast, if the worse happens you can always rent a camera for your trip away, admittedly it's additional expense but it's better to go with a camera than without one!!
User_Removed 14 4.9k England
23 Jul 2008 9:57AM
Have a look at the exif data in PS.(Possibly gives the correct camera details)
Seems to me the camera is stuck at f5.6.... the only way I make any sense to it.

Col

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.