Apple 64 bit incompatibility

onetreehill 11 11 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2019 2:41PM
I use Canon software to download my images from my Canon 600D. My processing is almos all done on an Imac with a big old 27" screen. Apple have fooled with the image preview so that it is too small to make decisions on keep or trash so I now use Canon's Digital Photo Professional. The problem is that none of Canon's software has been updated for the Apple 64 bit architecture and they are now beginning to hang and crash to a tedious extent. Anyone solved this or have an alternative viewer for Canon raw that will also page through the images within the preview window? I use Elements for processing but do not do a lot if I can avoid it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
3 Aug 2019 3:33PM
I can highly recommend Breezebrowser Pro.
I find it particularly good, excellent in fact, for browsing through images, whether they be raw, jpeg, tiff or psd files. It's fast and efficient and the image preview quality is superb. You can also see the actual image itself, as opposed to jpeg previews, with the click of a button and you can even see a black and white preview of all of your images too.
Works great for transferring images from card to computer also. Another couple of excellent features are a slideshow generator and a web gallery creator.
Well worth a look and I believe they offer a free trial period.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
3 Aug 2019 6:21PM
Breezebrowser unfortunately is Windows only I believe.

Which version of DPP are you using? Version 4 runs fine on both my iMac and MacBook Pro...

Elements also has a browser built in.
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
3 Aug 2019 6:31PM
Thanks Phil, didn't realise that.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
4 Aug 2019 7:54AM
You should be OK with 32 bit up to and including OS 10.14.x

The 64 bit requirement is only mandatory when Apple release OS 10.15 Catalina later this year.

One assumes that a company such as Canon have any changes already in development / testing.
6 Aug 2019 10:45PM
Philh04 - No idea on version. Does not seem to be any way to check it. There was at one time an About in Help but it does not show in my version. I may be better off trying to use the Elements browser. DPP is not the only thing to begin misbehaving - Roxio Toast, which I use for DVD burning, now will not run properly. Possibly I need to stop looking for free solutions and spend some money.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
7 Aug 2019 8:10AM

Quote:Philh04 - No idea on version. Does not seem to be any way to check it. There was at one time an About in Help but it does not show in my version. I may be better off trying to use the Elements browser. DPP is not the only thing to begin misbehaving - Roxio Toast, which I use for DVD burning, now will not run properly. Possibly I need to stop looking for free solutions and spend some money.

When you open DPP on the left you should see the program name, next to the Apple... the about panel is accessed from there...

It is sounding like you may have some other problem though....
8 Aug 2019 9:03AM
Its a conspiracy. Clicking program name shows About link, but clicking that does nothing. Come back Windows, all is forgiven.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2019 9:21AM
Curiouser and curiouser, I am a little busy at the moment, but will have a dig around later see if I can find anything out...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.