APS-C or Full frame

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2009 7:08PM

Quote:Strawman please give us your assumption as to why Andy Rouse changed brand .
I am sorry you are having problems reading and understanding I said.
Quote:Actually for someone like Andy Rouse the D3 might be a good solution but, key words budget and application. Go shoot landscapes and walk over to the luminous landscape and a few other there are correctly quite excited about the Sony full frame cameras. Go figure....
Its simple the decisions for me and Andy Rouse are different. I choose not to afford a D3, nor a 500mm prime, nor a 200-400Vr. Our criterion and choices are different.

Looking at your work the D3 looks wrong, a pair of D700 would do the job better and leave you with more money in the bank.

Quote:If you carnt see any difference in his image quality ?? . Obviously Andy has.
Yes I carnt see the difference in image quality as I see his prints in books and magazines. For many of the shots a D300 (or 7D) would do as well in the books. Good light etc etc.

Quote:He was shooting on the BEST of canon gear EOS-1 the BEST L lenses in total around 30,000 worth of equipment which he has based his reputation on , And for many years.

So why SUDDENLY jump to the Nikon system then, Perhaps you have HIS answer ??.

Having met Andy I can think of a few. Actually at the time, the D3 did have an advantage and Andy preferred Nikon from memory. I remember him saying he only went Canon because of the image quality. I am certain it did not cost Andy much to change. And I bet he would change again if Canon leapt ahead again, like they did in the @5 years before the D3. Its not a static thing. Remember for him there is a commercial element.

If you can afford the top Nikon lenses, and he can its a good system I never said it was not. It is just the D3 and the top notch lenses are way past my budget, but the Canons and the F4L series are not Smile That is a killer advantage for Canon in my eyes.

Just as the Sony with its new lenses has a lot going for landscape photographers. and lets not forget the best camera in the Nikon line up, the D700. equals the D3 on image quality and trounces it on value for money. So Nikon I am most likely to buy is the D700, D3 not worth it till it drops to D700 prices, but even then it would feel like a bloater to me.

So photofrenzy, I can see as I said many time, reasons for picking an A900 a 5D MKII, A D700, A D300, and Canons 7D. For my balance of desires its a Canon thing. add in my existing lenses I am happy with plus the relative affordability of gems like the 70-200 F4, the 24-105 etc, and you can see why a Canon solution attracts.

Have you manage to read and understand this yet? The D3 is irrelevant, as is Andy rouses choices. I mean he used to drive the door handles off a Sierra, his touring car days impress me more.

After all he is a good wildlife photographer, but not the best.

Lets be honest if Nikon came over and gave me a D700 and the 500mm VR lens and the 200-400 Vr and a 24-70 f2.8 plus a 70-200 f2.8 and that wide angle lens you over praise I would be happy, not the D3 bloater for me though.

But as its my own money the Canon system and lenses I can afford, blows the doors off any D3 system I could not afford.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
22 Dec 2009 8:06PM

Quote:Quote:And a bargain at 5000You only get what you pay for , Afterall 5,000 for something that will last a lifetime .

The average P**S Head Brit spends that in a year on booze

Except, that as we all know to our cost, no camera is going to last us for a lifetime.

I just know that if I spent 4800 on a D3x today (plus another 2500 on lenses), I would still want to change to the 56 megapixel, ISO 256,000 D4z when it comes out next year.

It's really about recognising one's requirements and not spending more than in necessary to meet those requirements.

With a D300 and its DX sensor, I can crop to about 60% of the frame and still get an A3+ print on an Epson R1900 that beats (or at least matches) anything that I could get in the olden days with Kodachrome 25. But if I was shooting for National Geographic, I might see things differently.
23 Dec 2009 3:16PM
Andy Rouse has picked up MP disease. If you check in the current copy of AP you can see he has been using a D3X and praises it for its low light capability.

Its a good article, interesting to hear how he is re-evaluating his style and approach to photography. In all I thought it was a good article.
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
23 Dec 2009 6:17PM

Quote:Andy Rouse Image Quality is everything he is very adamant about that. Its one of the reasons hes the best in the world at what he does.

But it's also about being able to market yourself... and Andy is exceedingly good at that! Wink
User_Removed 17 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2009 6:22PM
Indeed and for a person for whom photography is a business, that is absolutely paramount (as has been said ad nauseum on so many threads on this forum) Smile
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Dec 2009 6:29PM
Really not sure where this thread is going, but I am sure Andy Rouse would be glad that his name has been mentioned so many times..Smile
I don't care what gears he uses, he is a pro and has the money and sponsorships. I can only get what I can afford (or not in the case of 5D2). And John hits the nail in the head regarding lenses available for Canon FF compared to Nikon's.
photofrenzy 12 424 2 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2009 7:09PM
Ah seems like the CANON CREW are ganging up again lol Wink
cambirder 15 7.2k England
23 Dec 2009 8:17PM

Quote:Ah seems like the CANON CREW are ganging up again lo

Don't get paranoid, half the above posters are Nikon users.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2009 1:46PM
with aps-c sensors making their way into compacts do you ever think we will see FF sensors in the smaller slr's, say the 50d body? I hope so as i beieive lots of light and big sensors are the best things to have.
riprap007 15 1.6k 37 England
24 Dec 2009 1:54PM
I can see FF coming to a premium compact in a relatively short time frame, but less likely to a small form DSLR
bazhutton 12 25 England
24 Dec 2009 4:55PM

Quote:I mean he used to drive the door handles off a Sierra, his touring car days impress me more.

Bloomin' 'eck! I'd never made the connection! Well I never...

Happy Xmas everyone.
Leif 14 777
24 Dec 2009 6:08PM

Quote:Strawman please give us your assumption as to why Andy Rouse changed brand . If you carnt see any difference in his image quality ?? . Obviously Andy has.

He was shooting on the BEST of canon gear EOS-1 the BEST L lenses in total around 30,000 worth of equipment which he has based his reputation on , And for many years.

So why SUDDENLY jump to the Nikon system then, Perhaps you have HIS answer ??.

Andy Rouse posted one long post on dpreview in which he explained why he switched brand:

link

Regarding being able to tell the difference before and after, no you won't. What might have happened is that the number of keepers went up, and hence his ability to make money, due to for example better AF or lower noise at high ISO. But only he can tell you is that is indeed the case.

From what I have seen he is a first rate photographer, and quite inventive. I suspect that a large part of his success is due to his wife, who is or was in the wildlife film business, and hence she will be familiar with the places to go, what to see, and who to talk to. My belief is that photography is not really about the best camera/lens, but knowing the subject, and the business. No doubt pros will tell me if they disagree.
24 Dec 2009 8:07PM
Sounds a fair assessment to me

Merry Christmas to all off to have a tipple. Smile
photofrenzy 12 424 2 United Kingdom
26 Dec 2009 2:06PM

Quote:Quote:

link .Andy Rouse posted one long post on dpreview in which he explained why he switched brand:

link

Well after reading that link i am not surprised about his reaction, Afterall most of the ignorant people who have criticised him are from the canon Board anyway.

Same as i have had to put up with from IDIOTS on this forum for what GIVING MY OPINION, about changing brand i was in the same boat as Andy Rouse used Canon for ages but switched to a system that i know gives me better image quality.

Were not slagging brands off were just voicing our opinion which were entitled to and which most others on here do,

But get slagged by the IDIOTIC CANON CREW who just dont like other peoples opinions when it doesnt agree with thiers.

Perhaps most of you want to look at your own photography before slagging people off like Andy Rouse its a disgrace, Like i said he is one of the BEST in the world who actually gets paid for being Exceptionally good at what he does.

And has been an INSPIRATION to me and thousands of others.
So please lets have a bit more respect for peoples opinions in future on this forum and respect them regardless of brand.
cambirder 15 7.2k England
26 Dec 2009 11:55PM

Quote:But get slagged by the IDIOTIC CANON CREW who just dont like other peoples opinions when it doesnt agree with thiers.

Oh please give it a rest your paranoia is getting beyond a joke.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.