Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Are APO lenses much better ?

J-P 18 396
6 Mar 2003 12:56AM
I have the chance to get a Minolta 100-300 APO lens for about 150. I have the 75-300 non APO already and it's not too bad.

How much better are APO lenses ? Will I notice a difference in the real world or is all in LPM and colour charts ?
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
6 Mar 2003 8:50AM
It's the hifi "thickness of cable" scenario in a lot of cases. Apo lenses do give a better performance at wide apertures, but optical quality of most lenses is so good these days that it's hard for most of us to see a difference, unless you do refer to lpm and then it's usually at the higher lpm where the differences are picked up and film cannot always cope at these levels anyway! I'd stick with what you've got and save the cash...oh dear there goes another advertiser!
J-P 18 396
6 Mar 2003 9:40AM
Thanks Pete, valued comments. Anyone disagree ? I wonder what Barrie Harwood would have to say ?
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2003 9:45AM
That sounds like my cue!

I always go for the best equipment my budget will stretch to and in the cases of lenses, that is APO. Oneof the main issues APO addresses is that different wavelengths of light (and for our purposes lets say colours) are diffracted at slightly different angles by a lens so you can end up with colour fringes on some subjects. This is more noticeable with enlargement.

If you are happy with the results you are getting then why change. You will also be losing a little in the focal length range although this is not highly significant.

To summarise, if you were buying from scratch and didn't have an existing lens then I would say go for APO otherwise, stick with what you have got and perhaps look to another lens for your collection!

Barrie
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
6 Mar 2003 10:19AM
Have you ever seen the colour fringing though Barrie? Again, this was a problem in the seventies when you had inferior lenses, but since computerised designs and high quality multi-coating I've found it harder to spot a difference with the naked eye. I first became aware of this in 1991 when I tested the Canon EOS100. It had the bog standard 28-80mm USM version 1. That lens blew me away. It was the first zoom I'd felt happy to use and it produced shots that are as sharp as anything I've ever used! And that includes stuff like the Leica 90mm, Contax 50mm Planar and Tamron 90mm Macro lenses all supposedly legends!
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2003 10:29AM
No I haven't Pete but then again, I use APO lenses Smile
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
6 Mar 2003 10:52AM
Yes, daft question really! SorrySmile
railton 18 304
6 Mar 2003 3:53PM
I believe Barry's cave is free Pete!
J-P 18 396
8 Mar 2003 10:24AM
Thanks all. I think I'll save my money - or rather spend it on something else ! I'm currently bidding on a 5x4 camera on e-bay. Should notice a difference with that no ?
railton 18 304
8 Mar 2003 12:46PM
Now you're talking. Hope you are successful in obtaining, don't know if you have used LF before, know you have shot MF but still prepare for patience. I would dearly love to upgrade from MF myself but cannot afford at the moment, good luck. John.
J-P 18 396
9 Mar 2003 8:34AM
John, the actual hardware cost of LF is not huge. For the price of a middling 35mm SLR you can get a very nice condition MPP.

The trouble for me has been/is getting my strike rate high enough. It's easy enough to bracket 7 shots in 2 seconds with my 35mm. Given the cost of each sheet of 5x4 the challenge is going to be getting my exposure etc spot on first time every time. Until I can do I'l keep practicing.

Regards

JP
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
9 Mar 2003 12:25PM
I had an MPP for about a year...got some cracking results, also wasted a lot of money too! Bracketing, as you say, is very expensive. You do tend to concentrate more on the subject too. Very therapeutic!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.