WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

Are Nikon and Canon deliberately making poor mirrorless system cameras?

LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
16 Jun 2016 9:54AM

Quote:So how else would you go mirrorless and use your existing Canon glass LenSheherd?

Quote:Except you only save weight on the body, not the lenses
That's to be expected when you keep your lenses!!

Is there any point, other than nostalgia, in not keeping a Canon DSLR body to get better results out of old Canon lenses?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 11 6.1k
16 Jun 2016 11:34AM
We need to remember that wide-angle lenses for SLR cameras need to be larger and heavier because the designer has to leave space for the mirror. Also, any optical compromises come at a cost in terms of performance.

If I ever go mirrorless, I'll keep my longer than standard lenses but get non-retrofocus wides.
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
16 Jun 2016 1:11PM
Lens Shepherd, will walk you through this as you seem to consistently miss the point that myself, Paul and others have made

Picture this:

1) Man wants to sell his 5D and buy a mirrorless camera and finds a body that has the new features he wants.

2) He's got several thousand pounds invested in Canon lenses that he loves.

3) Rather than selling these at a loss on ebay he decides to keep them to use with the new body until the time comes where he can afford native lenses.

thewilliam 11 6.1k
16 Jun 2016 2:30PM
Chris, would you agree that a new user should start by replacing the wide-angles?
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
16 Jun 2016 3:23PM
That would depend which mirrorless system you changed to and what your goal is when replacing lenses.

Would your goal be weight saving? Would your goal be faster autofocus?

There are Canon and Nikon wide aperture portrait primes that I'd want to hang on to if I owned them. There are certain wide-angle Canikon lenses that I'd be happy to focus manually (if I didn't have a smart adaptor) in order to avoid selling them and buying native equivalents. Native equivalents may not exist or may be prohibitively expensive.

I think the Canon user with loads of glass who wants to go mirrorless and who would keep his lenses is a special case and it's something which really only affects Canon users want to buy a Sony body. There are some incredible adaptors from Metabones and from Sigma which will let you use your glass with the new body, with full control of focus and aperture.

It means you can start off with mirrorless and you don't have to buy any new lenses to get going. Remember you can buy an A7R (which has the same full-frame sensor as one of the Nikon flagship machines) for 700 and will put a 5D Mark III etc to shame.

Canon should have the same mirrorless path for their users but they haven't, neither have Nikon it would seem, which is what the OP touches on by creating this forum subject.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.