Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Are photoshop files ok? Not 'lossy'?

manhattan88 19 14
11 Mar 2002 5:48PM
Hi again folks!
Just wondering if its ok to save/open/save/open work-in-progress files as photoshop files. I know its not rcommended to do this with JPEGS because of the lost data that occurs. But are photoshop files similar to TIFFs in that there is no data loss when you open/save/open/save etc.
If that is the case, is there anything against saving or archiving images as photoshop files as opposed to TIFFs on CD?

My sincere thanks once again.

David
Stephen 19 33
11 Mar 2002 8:04PM
PSD files are not Lossy and are fine to work with as you describe.

The problem with them is they take up more space than Jpeg files and are not readable by all applications, whereas Tiffs and Jpegs tend to be universal.

Stephen
manhattan88 19 14
15 Mar 2002 11:59AM
thanks stephen. I guess if its only me and my lab thats going to be working with them, working and saving all my stuff as photoshop files should be ok.
Are there any advantages of TIFFs over photoshop files (if they are both non lossy) other than the fact that TIFFs might be a bit more universally accepted?
Stephen 19 33
15 Mar 2002 7:22PM
Can't think of any really. If it works for you, do it Wink

Stephen
richiev4 18 26
30 Jan 2003 10:41PM
The advantage to PSD file is that all the layers and effects you apply to an image remain editable, in other file formats you may loose the ability to change these settings again.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.