Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Are Teleconverters worth investing in.

tamasalucy 10 277 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 8:36AM
I am looking at purchasing a 2x Teleconverter for Canon fit. the questions I'm asking is it worth getting one and what lenses are best suited for them. I am hoping to use it on a Sigma 150 x 500 telephoto lens and a 150mm macro lens.
Regards Simon
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 9:12AM
The Canon converters have a protruding front element - and cannot be fitted on many Canon lenses.

For the Canon lenses intended to work well with Canon converters with good technique you should be able to get greater image resolution than by cropping by an equivalent amount.

With converters on a DSLR you get a darker viewfinder, slower AF, and a longer equivalent focal length with more risk of camera shake - so your camera technique needs to be good to get the best out of them.

I do not know if Canon converters work with your Sigma Zoom - but a Sigma converter should.

Which macro? Not many macros from any manufacturer accept Canon converters.

An alternative is Kenko brand converters. They do not have a protruding front elements and work with a very wide range of lens. They cost less than Canor or Nikon converters - and are not far behind Canon/Nikon optical quality.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 10:39AM

Quote:I do not know if Canon converters work with your Sigma Zoom

No they will not work, you will also need an extender that does not report aperture as AF will cease to work with a 2x and to be quite frank I would not even bother trying as the hit to image quality even with a 1.4x may be too extreme.
Canon extenders can be made to work with third party macro lenses by adding a 12mm tube between the lens and extender when a bit extra magnification is needed...
tamasalucy 10 277 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2020 6:47AM

Quote:
The Canon converters have a protruding front element - and cannot be fitted on many Canon lenses.
Hi Len Thanks for the advise the Kenko lens was what I was looking at getting this one seems to be more versatile and less expensive. so thanks for the advise.
Regards Simon
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2020 5:36PM
I got a 2nd hand kenko, so it could be very old. But the quality i got was about the same as i'd get from a digital zoom of the same subject. If i was to get one i'd choose it in conjunction with a particular compatible long lens or two.
Also of course they lose light so your 1/400 might become 1/100 sec all other things equal.
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2020 8:15PM
I have a Canon 1.4X extender; Canon do not call them Teleconverters. The Canon devices are limited for use with certain lenses only. I bought mine to use with my 70-200mm f2.8 L and the performance with it fitted is hardly any different. All of the camera and lens functions operate normally using the extender. In this case the 1.4X give me 280mm but reduces the maximum aperture to f4. The 2X extender would reduce the max aperture to f5.6. The lens and camera will focus fast at f2.8 and F4 but not quite so slick at f5.6 which is why I chose the 1.4X.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.