Are they any good?

4 May 2015 6:00PM
To Olympus users

I currently own a Sony A77 Camera and lenses, but because of Arthritis find them too heavy and want to change to a lighter CSC camera and am looking at the Olympus OMD-E5 Mk2 and the Fuji XT1.

My question to Olympus users is will the Micro Four Thirds 16 Mega Pixel sensor take sharp images, as My Sony A77 is a 24.3MP sensor it will allow a certain amount of cropping will the 16MP allow much.

My Photo preferences are Macro, Studio and some sports shots and my choice of Lenses would be the 60mm Macro. the 70-300 zoom for sports shots and a lens for every day shooting (Perhaps someone would recommend something)

My concern is that I will be going backwards in terms of resolution and as this is a complete change of equipment would be disappointed in the results.

Other questions- What would be better, the E5 Mk2 or the E1 and are there any Olympus days anywhere so I could try the cameras out.

Thanks in advance

Frank

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
4 May 2015 6:28PM
I used E-M5s for 2 and a half years, mostly nature/wildlife. I could not come to grips with the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro; I had 2 of them at different times, but it just didn't work for me. I used the Panasonic 100-300mm for my long telephoto, and for about a year and a half I was fairly pleased with the results I got with it; birds, butterflies, etc. I switched to Nikon, and images from the D7000 can be cropped much more than from the E-M5 without detrimental effects showing; the D7000 being 16mp, but it's a bigger sensor, and I notice a big difference when cropping, and also when using high ISO. However, the Olympus IBIS stabiliser is the best of the best, no problem shooting at 300mm (600mm) at 1/60 sec; it works, far better than Nikon's latest version of VR, imo. If I were to go back to M4/3, it would be either another E-M5, because I don't see any advantage for me in the newer models for the extra cash; or the Panasonic GH3. My advice if you're going M4/3 anyway, get an Olympus E-M5, and put the money save towards the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 and the dedicated 1.4TC, it would definitely cover most of your needs. To be fair to Olympus, I am not an accomplished macro photographer, and that's more than likely the reason I had difficulty with the 60mm f2.8. I have recently been using the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro on my D7000 and it's one of the best lenses I've ever used, and the final focal length is very close to that of the Olympus 60mm. My opinion is that the image quality of the E-M5 M1, and M5 II is so close as to not be a factor. I am not a fan of wifi, etc., I have no use for that.

Just a thought, since you have the lenses, what about the Sony A6000?
CaptivePhotons 16 1.7k 2 England
4 May 2015 6:32PM
Olympus Test and Wow

And I'd get the EM5 mk2 over the EM1
steve486 8 150 United Kingdom
4 May 2015 8:32PM
just moved from canon to fuji xt-1 traded in for body, 16-55 55-200 and 60 mm macro. going to have to give the macro lens a chance but rest of equipment first class.got the feeling im going to miss canon 100mm macro
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
4 May 2015 9:30PM
The EM5 MK2 would be a good choice.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
5 May 2015 9:56AM
I echo Straycat's thoughts - I have the Canon 7D with L lenses, EM5 and Panasonic GX7 and I think both MFTs are excellent alternatives to the DSLR.

For someone with arthritis, I would recommend the E-M5 (or E-M1) because the IBIS is the best I have used and if you cannot grip the camera securely this will be a big bonus - the Oly IBIS reacts quicker than the in-lens stabilisation of the Canon lenses and probably surpasses it in stability.
The Olympus primes are absolute gems in quality and because they do not need IS system in them they are surprisingly compact. And Oly are also now making some high-quality zooms which was previously Panasonic's selling point.
My lens set is the Panasonic 12-35 (Olympus have the equally good 12-40), Pany 14mm+20mm (you could get the Olympus 17mm), Olympus 45mm prime for portraits, Sigma 60mm (ridiculously cheap at about 120 so I just had to try it) and Panasonic 45-200 and 70-300 (The Olympus 75-300 is just as good).
So take your pick from that lot: I am quite happy taking the body with 12-35 f2.8 (I may substitute the 14+20mm primes if I think I will need shallow DOF), 45mm and maybe the 60mm prime and I crop for anything up to 100mm equivalent on APS-C body (the field of view on the MFT is the same as 25% longer on APS-C so the E-M5+40mm = APS-C+50mm).

With the E-M5 I needed to adapt the way I shoot because highlights easily become very brittle but shadow recovery is so good you can afford to underexpose to avoid problems. And as Denny says, heavy cropping is much better with the DSLR so it depends on the sort of images you take as to whether this is an issue for you.

The Fuji cameras have an excellent reputation so I think part of the decision should be based on how you view your images - if you only view online/on-screen I very much doubt you will notice the difference and even when you print the difference up to A3 will be minimal.

The E-M5 Mki and Mkii use essentially the same sensor so IQ will not be a significant issue but functionality seems much improved. personally I would get the Mki and spend the saving on good lenses.
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
5 May 2015 12:13PM
I'd echo the E-M5 mk2 as an all rounder. I have a review of it here

A good lens for everyday shooting is the Panasonic 12-32mm. It has a limited zoom range but is tiny making the E-M almost pocketable. Otherwise the two F/2.8 standard zooms are good but big (by MFT standards!) and expensive.

As someone has mentioned, the stabilization on the E-M5 Mk2 is out of this world which is a factor as we get older. I have shaky hands yet I can hand hold my Nikon 300mm with 1.4 converter easily with it - that's 840mm in old money. And don't dismiss the WiFi so quickly. It really comes into its own with macro work, where you can touch the screen to get very precise focus and also release the camera without touching it. I've heard so many people dismiss it and then, when they realize the possibilities in practical use they are converts. It sets itself up, practically, no techno stuff to do. Here's a pic to show what I mean

60591_1430824246.jpg

mikesavage 17 299 2 England
5 May 2015 4:51PM
The Panasonic G6 can now be had for as little as 350 with the 14-42mm zoom, making it outstanding value for money.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
5 May 2015 10:29PM
The E-M5 Mki and Mkii use essentially the same sensor so IQ will not be a significant issue but functionality seems much improved. personally I would get the Mki and spend the saving on good lenses.

There are some very good deals on the Mk1, some kits include the two part grip, its a very useful accessory.
24 May 2015 5:54PM
Thanks everyone for your comments which I have taken on board, I have looked at the Sony A6000 but it does not have tethering which is one of the gripes I have with Sony with my A77.

Fuji have now come up with the XT-10 which I might have a look at when it is released.

Frank
8 Jul 2015 3:33PM
I have bought a Olympus OMD-EM1 camera with three lenses two of which have money back offers and I got a free grip.

I must say that I am very pleased with my purchases and I am having some fun with the equipment, I part exchanged all my Sony/Minolta gear at SRS microsystems in Watford who gave me a very good deal against the EM1.

All in all a good decision.
Coast 11 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2015 8:34PM
Well enjoy. It was the best thing I ever did in selling all my FF Canon gear and L lenses. Bought the E-M1 to add to the E-M10 that I'd bought as a travel camera. It was the E-M10 that convinced me that I didn't need FF anymore. Added the 3 Pro zooms since to go with the 17mm, 45mm, 60mm and 75mm primes.

Has revitalised my love of taking pictures and I take more than ever.

14 Aug 2015 2:13PM
I am about to buy an Olympus 14-150 lens (Non pro) anyone had any experience with this lens? Comments please.
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
14 Aug 2015 3:11PM
I had the Oly 14-150mm. It was good enough but I felt it unbalanced the MFT camera I had at the time. It's convenience factor is undeniable.

But I decided on separate zooms for wide/mid range and for tele. Less convenient but they feel better on the camera (especially the tiny Panny GM1) and give better results.

It's a question of weighing up the balance between convenience and handling/image quality. I sold the 14-150 but would not want to deter anyone from buying one.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.