Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Are you a singly focused individual?

Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
9 Jun 2011 10:02PM
I'm either manual focus (landscapes) or single point, but I move the point about a lot. If I was capturing fast moving objects I would then activate more points.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
9 Jun 2011 10:38PM
I can probably count on one hand the times I've used the centre focus point for static subjects. My main interest is wildlife and I'm often working at 700mm, 1120mm if you include the 1.6X crop factor. Depth of field is extremely shallow and recomposing after using just the central point to focus can be enough to take the edge off of critical focus. Not to mention that the moment could be completely missed in the time it takes to focus, recompose and shoot.
I tend to make use of all the focus points, but only ever having a single one selected. I prefer to compose in camera, as opposed to cropping, so I always use which ever focus point is the optimum one for focusing on my subjects eye, whilst giving a pleasing composition. 90% of the time I use the top-middle one or the top-left one.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
9 Jun 2011 10:56PM
Yes, I can see for extreme tele work focusing, and then recomposing, could ruin things.
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2011 11:06PM
Mostly all 9 AF spots on the dSLR, unless its a static or repeatable subject then single point, centre or more likely one of the side points. Or if more macro MF.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
10 Jun 2011 1:41AM
My first dslr had three focus point and for me two to many.

My latest dslr has many focus points and stlill all I use is the centre focus point.

I`ve always wondered how people on here shoot from the hip, do the leave it on auto focus and hope for the best, or switch to manual and pre predict the focus.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
10 Jun 2011 12:35PM
I use the centre focus point mostly, but change to using all the points when in AI Servo.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.