Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Are YOU incredibly unfriendly?

col.campbell 14 1.2k 4 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 12:44PM
Is 'Barbara' an epz member?

Brian May in warm water

I don't know anything about Instagram but from my position of ignorance, he seems to have his knickers in a knot because he wasn't allowed to use someone else's image (even if he was in it).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AlexandraSD 6 733 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 1:09PM
Brian does not seem to be dealing with this in an adult fashion though... "What an incredibly unfriendly act from you, Barbara! You not only took my picture and are evidently exploiting my image, and making money off me without so much as a 'by your leave' - but you actually stop me using a picture of myself! What a crazy world we live in these days"

Then he threatens to throw the person out of his concerts!

So lets discuss copyright. I am pretty damn sure that if anyone used a queen or brian may song on their youtube videos, a copyright claim would be enforced, with an instruction to remove the video swiftly. Fair do's! Kicking Barbara out of future concerts? That is just mean, spiteful and sounds like something a spoilt child would say.

Good for Barbara!
JackAllTog Plus
8 5.0k 58 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 2:16PM
The article suggests he may have done this before from their quote of
"Instagram's terms and conditions say: "If you repeatedly infringe other people's intellectual property rights, we will disable your account when appropriate.""

I'd have thought the ticket event sales T&C's would either have allowed here to take and post photo's or not - simple's.

And if he did not credit her then she was making not making money off him. He was though making money of her for the ticket - presuming it was a paid concert.

Someone took a great photo of Brian, Brian liked it, reused it and forgot to credit her - nullifying her work.
Instagram thought this happened too many times so suspended his account. I don't see why he vilify's her for his mistake.
ChrisV Plus
11 2.0k 26 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 2:31PM
I note he was going to 'credit her', not pay her, (though he did neither). Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts for most celebrities are surely 'promotional activity'.

Therefore if anyone is 'making money' from someone else's work, in this specific instance, it's May.

The rich and famous having to abide by copyright infringement? "What a crazy world we live in these days". Or maybe not.
col.campbell 14 1.2k 4 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 3:49PM
Funnily enough, I would have shaken my head at this story and moved on but it interested me, on account of the two bands out of three which I recently approached asking to use my images (which I've offered for sale), in return for 'credit'. Credit my bank account!

Anyway. Brian May. Harrumph.
justin c 14 4.9k 36 England
14 Nov 2017 4:17PM
I don't think that threatening to throw the woman out of the concert is much of a retaliation. Surely making her stay to the end and indure the whole concert would be far greater punishment Tongue
Just Jas Plus
16 26.2k 1 England
14 Nov 2017 5:29PM

Quote:He was though making money of her for the ticket - presuming it was a paid concert.

For which she received a concert - which is she paid for when she went in.

Notwithstanding, a credit should have been given if that is the usual practice.

Quote:Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts for most celebrities are surely 'promotional activity'.

Therefore if anyone is 'making money' from someone else's work, in this specific instance, it's May.

Presumably a credit would have given her some promotion? Tit for Tat.
ChrisV Plus
11 2.0k 26 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2017 5:46PM
She didn't even get that though...
Just Jas Plus
16 26.2k 1 England
14 Nov 2017 5:48PM
That's right - she had a reasonable complaint.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.