Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Army live fire shoot!

bentspace 17 31
16 Nov 2005 9:48PM
I am driving south to photograph a live fire excersise by the NZ Army tomorrow.
It is an evening and live fire demonstraion (LAVS, infantry, artillery and maybe Helicopters)
I have hired a nikon 80-200 F2.8 ED, a Tamron 2x converter, a monopod and a 4 gig card.
I also have my D70, a Sigma 105 and the Nikon Kit lens...
Any tips on how to approach this? Has anybody here done something similar before?
Will the monopod work for the night shoot or should i take my manfrotto tripod? (and maybe end up lugging it over hills?)
Any hints appreciated...
whippetrider 18 465
17 Nov 2005 2:16AM
Carefully! I would advise that you get a range safety officer assigned to you from arrival.

An exercise like this runs to a very carefully prepared plan to get the right people in the right places at the right time. You need to get with someone who knows the plan beforehand and use this to prepare your "shots" in advance.

I did a public re-enactment event during summer and spent about 10 minute before hand with a Lt Col going through the battle plan. This allowed by to get in a lens change and card changes in during the planned breaks in the action. I'd have missed some shots without this information

Not too sure about a tripod, what about a bean bag though? I'd also be tempted to take a wide lens as well.

Jeff
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
17 Nov 2005 3:02AM

Quote:Any hints appreciated...

Duck...frequently.

Kris. Wink
ian walker 17 717 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2005 3:06AM
tin hat :o)

available from all good stores, except jessops
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Nov 2005 6:00AM
Tin hat definitely as Ian suggests - and a 'DayGlo' coverall suit!!!
Westers 16 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
17 Nov 2005 10:28AM

Quote:and a 'DayGlo' coverall suit!!![/qoute]

With a big "X" painted on the back

Wink

MeanGreeny 16 3.7k England
17 Nov 2005 10:23PM
I doubt that you'll be allowed very close to the action. I think you'll find that the 400mm f5.6 will be on most of the time.
Kim Walton 18 145 30 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2005 2:43AM
Being ex infantry and range staff,you should already be briefed on what you can or can`t do ,where to go,you should have a plan of whats happening,its all very orchastrated,tanks open fire targets at 1000m,then machinegun at 200m etc.Its all down to the range control of what targets are put up and when and this is all planned in advance.Its proberly one of the most spectacular sights you will see if its a battle group shoot.Try and visit in daylight with range staff,they will tell you what fires from where and what targets are hit and the distance.The tracer shot is proberly the most photogenic getting red streams of light across the landscape.
You should get plenty of shots that fall into this months compotition"fire" goodluck.
Kim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.