Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Army Men Around the House

26 May 2020 12:56PM
I've been taking this series of photos for about 7 years or so. It first started when I was unemployed and bored at home and started taking photos of the scale models I build attacking my brother's cat. Over the years this hobby has evolved for me and I've graduated from taking these pictures with my phone to using a Canon Rebel T6 and I've even managed to get some paid work here and there.

[Links removed by ePz - please read the site T&Cs regarding linking ]

I've also started taking a series of Film Noir themed photos, since that genre peaked shortly after world war two, and there are a pretty good selection of 1:35 scale civilians for me to work with.

[Links removed by ePz]

I've found lately for the noir stuff in particular that building scenery and using it much the way film sets would be built in the studio at the time to be a very practical approach.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
26 May 2020 10:40PM
Hi Gareth, Welcome to the site. I do hope you upload some of your images to your portfolio, it sound quite inteesting. I'd guess that lighting your sets must be quite challenging for the model size.

Googling up your name with Army appended does show some real persistence, i really like the spilt milk bottle one with a single character; Also the red jigsaw one and the scissors cutting the internet cable.

Anyway - here's hoping you upload some here too.

Best Wishes
Stuart
27 May 2020 3:36AM
Thank you very much. The lighting is actually much easier (and cheaper) than you might think. I use alot of small LEDs you might find at the dollar store, and for directional light I'll often cut a whole in some cardboard and tape it over a flashlight.
bluesandtwos 10 428 1 England
27 May 2020 10:26AM
Welcome ! I'm looking forward to seeing your 'army', hope you post some here soon. Smile

Dave
pablophotographer 9 1.6k 376
29 May 2020 12:27AM
Welcome aboard Gareth!

Your Army figures picture collection brought in mind a man with the same nane as yours, known as Gary, the Tank Commander. Watch the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMDZzNStKw
29 May 2020 12:39AM
That reminds me. I did take a photo on an overpass once.

331282_1590709145.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.