Art proof

13 Feb 2018 10:01PM
Enquires about art proof photography.....when image taken and print with AP numbers and signed but what grade of paper to be use for art proof?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam2 1 998
13 Feb 2018 11:23PM
When you sell "Art images", it's only fair to the customer that only archival material are used. The Artist's Proof should be of the same standard as the rest of the edition.

That means pigment inks on pure rag paper and any mounting is done with Conservation grade art boards.
14 Feb 2018 6:11AM
Thank you which brand of manfacture archival paper best for art proof when use pigment ink of any manfacture such as canon or epson?
justin c 14 5.0k 36 England
14 Feb 2018 8:54AM
That's a question that only you can really answer. The brand isn't really the most important criteria as there are many, many excellent brands available that offer a whole range of fine art papers. What's of more importance is the paper type that you prefer, which is very much image dependant. Smooth or textured, matte or non matte, lightweight or heavyweight, paper whiteness, with OBA's or without (preferable), importance of colour gamut and dmax, cost, etc. etc.
What printer are you using? Not all printers work well with all papers.

Most brands will offer relatively inexpensive sample packs to help you choose a suitable paper.

I would decide what paper characteristics are important to you, then look at what brands offer those papers and then go from there.

Hahnemule and Canson are a popular choice that offer a full range of achival papers.
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2018 8:55AM
When looking for 'archival' paper as William says you should be looking at pure rag or part pure rag and alpha cellulose (usually called pulp)... For both papers and mount materials the operative part of any description has to be 'Acid Free', acid is used in paper production to 'soften' the pulp. For archival use acid is to be avoided.

You also need to ensure that the paper and the printing base do not contain any chemicals such as 'optical whiteners'.

Pigment Inks are preferable although many dye inks from the major manufacturers now boast increase longevity that borders on archival quality.

Epson produce 'Archival Matt' and most other manufacturers produce archival materials, the downside is that the printers and materials come at a greater cost, it can be harder to produce a quality print and you really should be looking at custom profiling and establishing an accurate print workflow...
14 Feb 2018 9:07AM
Interesting info...thing is you see charlie waite photography he use archival material for his work and he do numbers and signed on archival paper but this is limited edition and do not say art proof!!!!
Strange?
See....https://www.charliewaite.com/prints
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2018 9:45AM
That is because from what I can gather you are talking about 'Limited Editions' not an 'Artists Proof'.

An 'Artists Proof' is just that... a proof for the artist to approve prior to the rioting of a limited edition. Therefore you do not have a numbered run of 'Artists Proofs'.

So you should really be talking about a limited edition run....
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2018 9:55AM
LoL... autocorrect... rioting should read printing Grin
14 Feb 2018 11:03AM
I think art proof is around 10percent of limited edition print but what I am talking about charlie waite stated he use archival paper for his limited edition as his website. I can't see his art proof?
See website few row back
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2018 11:31AM

Quote:I think art proof is around 10percent of limited edition print

No.... an artists proof is a proof print for the artist to approve before going to a limited edition print run, a proof is just that, if the result does not meet approval then another proof will be produced, but there can only be one Artists Proof that matches the Limited Edition run, it cannot be 10% of the print run as it would no longer be a proof.

Some artists/authors will indeed sell this proof at a higher price, but obviously not all, there can only be one!

It is correct that a limited edition run should be printed as an archival product. I don't understand why you seem to think that they should be otherwise.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
14 Feb 2018 11:33AM
I think Phil is right and perhaps you have misunderstood somewhere along the line. Surely the art proof is just for his viewing - not for sale. He will print off the art proof to see the image on paper and approve or not further prints for sale in a limited edition. The paper he chooses for his proof may well be the same as that which he uses for the limited edition or not - as he sees fit. He may make several art proofs on different paper to view the differences that they make once printed and for sale to choose the best final results. BTW I looked at his website and can find nothing about his prints and the paper he uses.
14 Feb 2018 12:32PM
https://www.charliewaite.com/prints

Hi Tianshi.....see his website....................
How should I care for my print?
Each image is made using pigment ink and is printed on stable archival fine art cotton rag paper. The image will be accompanied by an informative document about itís care.
It has been shown however that continued and prolonged exposure to sunlight will in time damage all ink and dye based materials. We therefore recommend that you hang your artwork out of the glare of direct sunlight.

See archhival fine art......he use it for his limited edition but not art proof.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
14 Feb 2018 1:07PM
Nowhere in that page does he mention Art Proofs. He limits himself to talking about the Limited Editions. So I'm not sure where you came across the idea that Art Proofs were a part of his saleable products nor why you thought that was what he was referring to.

The advice you have been given re the type of paper to use for archival prints is in complete agreement with what Charlie Waite has documented on his page.
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
14 Feb 2018 1:38PM

Quote:See archhival fine art......he use it for his limited edition but not art proof.

Please, please understand what an artists proof is... it is a print produced for the artist to approve whether things like colour rendition, density and finish of the print meet their standards...

Charlie will have had proof prints done before proceeding with the production of his limited edition run.

There can be only one proof print that matches the final run and the artist will generally keep that for their own reference as it may have important notes attached etc.

There can only be one proof (sounds like Highlander) it is not part of a saleable print run...

Where you get the idea that it forms 10% of a limited print run I have no idea...

Photographer works on his image

Satisfied he sends it off for a proof to be printed

Studies proof, happy with results

Gives the go ahead to print the limited edition run
thewilliam2 1 998
14 Feb 2018 1:54PM
When we create a limited edition, we can sell a small number of "Artist's Proof" in addition to the edition.

The idea of an artist's proof is that, when starting the run, we make a number "test" prints to get the process right. We'd also be wise to make extra prints in case a few get spoiled. A print that meets the standard but is in addition to the edition, can then be sold as AP but there shouldn't be many of them.

Phil, did you ever see the "obituary" to the inventor of predictive text? Quite brilliant!

This isn't the best but it'll do for now:-

https://theulsterfry.com/world-news/man-who-invented-predictive-text-pisses-away-quietly-in-his-sleep/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.