Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Aspect Ratios

Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
17 Nov 2020 8:38PM
Hi guys!
I’m putting my landscape images up on a new website for printing. I'm just wondering about aspect ratios?

What are the most popular aspect ratios for printing?

Should I keep the same aspect ratio for all prints or go along with the ratio I end up with after editing? They will be on sale.

Depending on the photo, is it wise to offer the same scene using differant aspect ratios?

Should I offer aspect ratios that correspond with those on social media?

Regards,

Fergal.
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
17 Nov 2020 9:47PM
I won't claim to be any authority on all of this but wouldn't it be sensible to concentrate on aspect ratios (and sizes) that will fit the most popular frame dimensions?
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
17 Nov 2020 10:00PM
It might be alright but I could use mountings.

What are the most popular frames?
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Nov 2020 10:57PM
12×8”, 12×16”, 20×16 and 20×24

But Jester is right.
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
18 Nov 2020 8:39AM
Can you provide more information?

I presume you are putting images, perhaps from a wedding, on a web site run by a printing firm - where customers order finished prints from the printing firm at your prices which will be more than the printer normally charges.

Is this right?

4:3 format cameras (including some medium format cameras), are 4:3 aspect ratio. This is closer to UK common frame sizes than the common 2:3 camera body aspect ratio.

One way forward is to set your camera to 5:4 ration if it is a menu option and to put 5:4 ratio images on the website. This can involve some discipline at the shooting stage - concentrating on subjects best suited to a 5:4 print size like 10x8.

Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
18 Nov 2020 8:55AM
Erm, surely, 5:4 is 10x8 . . . ?
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
18 Nov 2020 9:43AM
Thanks guys.
I’m putting them on Smugmug and have yet to choose the printing firm. My camera is a Canon 5D and at 300 ppi, the largest image after editing that I get is in the 16 x 12 ins range.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
18 Nov 2020 9:44AM
They are landscape photos.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
18 Nov 2020 8:14PM
I can match frame dimensions alright.
Do those dimensions include the entire frame including the edges or just the area of the photo?
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
18 Nov 2020 8:32PM
Where I used the term “mountings” above, I should have said “mattings”!😳
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 10:02AM
Hi guys!
I'm in a bit of a pickle now because if I crop the photos (even unedited originals) to the specified frame sizes, they then don't quite have the 300 ppi (even 240 for some). Due to health issues (and right now lockdown), I cannot retake them at the moment. I can of course sharpen them and I've read it's possible to add pixels, but is this advisable? I use Photoshop CC.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 10:11AM
Thanks again!
I might try that!Grin

quote]Can you provide more information?

I presume you are putting images, perhaps from a wedding, on a web site run by a printing firm - where customers order finished prints from the printing firm at your prices which will be more than the printer normally charges.

Is this right?

4:3 format cameras (including some medium format cameras), are 4:3 aspect ratio. This is closer to UK common frame sizes than the common 2:3 camera body aspect ratio.

One way forward is to set your camera to 5:4 ration if it is a menu option and to put 5:4 ratio images on the website. This can involve some discipline at the shooting stage - concentrating on subjects best suited to a 5:4 print size like 10x8.

Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2020 10:31AM

Quote:if I crop the photos (even unedited originals) to the specified frame sizes, they then don't quite have the 300 ppi

A crop should not change the ppi, all it should change are the pixel dimensions.

You are better off having prints made to a specific standard frame/matte size, all you need do is duplicate the file crop it to the aspect ratio you need and if you require larger then use >Image size to resize and keep the ppi. If you use mattes to make a non standard print size fit a standard frame size then you will either have to cut them yourself (not easy without the correct tools) or pay to have them custom cut which may work out expensive in small quantities.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 11:05AM
Thanks for that!
Do you mean to get them printed and have them cropped afterwards? All that is being done online but I could show them where I want them cropped alright.

I appreciate cropping wouldn’t change the poi, but after cropping I don’t have enough pixels for a sharp 16 x 12 sized image.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Nov 2020 11:27AM
Don't sell one then

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.