ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Aspect Ratios

Tallmanirl 8 324 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 11:31AM
It would be a pity not to be able to do that.
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Nov 2020 12:58PM
14570_1605790723.jpg
Tallmanirl 8 324 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 2:16PM
I understand the frustration. I struggle with this type of thing, but will get it right!😀
Philh04 17 2.3k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2020 4:06PM

Quote:Do you mean to get them printed and have them cropped afterwards?

No, crop tool in Photoshop...

It sounds like you are cropping by a lot, the only answer would be to interpolate, however it is always best to get the composition right at the point of taking and not afterwards in post.
Tallmanirl 8 324 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 5:09PM
Ok! Thanks! I’ll do that for the ones already taken and reset the camera aspect ratio for future if I require it.😀
19 Nov 2020 5:57PM

Quote:reset the camera aspect ratio for future

Not possible on a 5D I'm afraid, you need to compose with the intended ratio/use in mind.
Tallmanirl 8 324 Ireland
19 Nov 2020 10:22PM
Ok! Thanks again!😀
LenShepherd 14 4.6k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 9:28AM

Quote:
if I crop the photos (even unedited originals) to the specified frame sizes, they then don't quite have the 300 ppi (even 240 for some).

Needing 300 dpi is an unfortunate internet myth.

If you look at a colour image in a magazine through a magnifying glass you will see dots of yellow, cyan, magenta and black.
These are normally printed out at 75 dpi for each ink and usually look OK.
4 inks times 75 dpi is 300 - which is where the 300 comes from.

The default setting for high quality prints using Lightroom is 240 dpi - and you can get good results with lower dpi. This is part because a lot of software can interpolate detail when there is not enough in an original file.

When sending files for printing - ask the printer what dpi and colour space the printing firm want.
Unless you pay serious money for prints most labs want sRGB jpgs - and usually at lower than 300 dpi. These settings usually produce very good results - often not far behind Adobe RGB files print quality from larger files.

Some high quality magazines - like Vogue - often work to 600 dpi - and want very large files to achieve this.
Jestertheclown 14 8.7k 255 England
20 Nov 2020 9:34AM

Len,
Presumably, you mean "ppi."
You can't save dots on as computer, they don't exist..
Tallmanirl 8 324 Ireland
20 Nov 2020 10:29AM
Interesting! Thanks for that!
Iíll ask the printing companies what they need!😀
20 Nov 2020 10:50AM

Quote:If you look at a colour image in a magazine through a magnifying glass you will see dots of yellow, cyan, magenta and black.
These are normally printed out at 75 dpi for each ink and usually look OK.
4 inks times 75 dpi is 300 - which is where the 300 comes from.

Hmm, we are not talking about magazine production.

PPI (pixels per inch) and not DPI (dots per inch) DO play a part when it comes to what size an image will print, without any form of interpolation and can also be related to the native resolution of the printer i.e. Canon printers work better in multiples of 300ppi, for example 150ppi to 600ppi, this saves the driver software from any rounding etc. Labs tend to request 300ppi as that is a figure comparable with there printing hardware.
Jestertheclown 14 8.7k 255 England
20 Nov 2020 11:14AM

Quote:These are normally printed out at 75 dpi for each ink and usually look OK.

The actual number of dots of ink placed upon the surface varies enormously, depending upon a number of things and always has done.

Four colour printing has existed for far longer than computerised images.

Interestingly, the "screen" or combination and number of dots on a half tone used to be referred to as "resolution."
20 Nov 2020 1:42PM

Quote:
Quote:These are normally printed out at 75 dpi for each ink and usually look OK.

The actual number of dots of ink placed upon the surface varies enormously, depending upon a number of things and always has done.

Some yes - some no.

Colour images in newspaper are usually at less than 75 dots a colour.

Decent quality magazines usually usually use 75 per ink.

20 Nov 2020 1:46PM

/quote]
The OP's mistaken belief is that 300 is a "magic number" is based on the common magazine requirement of 75 per ink.

20 Nov 2020 2:10PM

Quote:

The OP's mistaken belief is that 300 is a "magic number" is based on the common magazine requirement of 75 per ink.

Of course he isn't, he hasn't even mentioned magazine reproduction, he is talking about having prints produced by a lab probably using a printer such as a Fuji Frontier, labs request files be sent to them at 300ppi (not dpi) as that is a multiple/division of the native resolution of the printer giving the RIP less to calculate.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.