Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Aspect Ratios

Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
20 Nov 2020 2:41PM

Quote:The actual number of dots of ink placed upon the surface varies enormously, depending upon a number of things and always has done.

Some yes - some no.

Colour images in newspaper are usually at less than 75 dots a colour.

Decent quality magazines usually usually use 75 per ink.

I don't know what you're basing these figures on Len but printing is, or at least, was my trade and they mean nothing to me.

Quote:The OP's mistaken belief is that 300 is a "magic number" is based on the common magazine requirement of 75 per ink.

Actually, you brought that up.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 2:45PM

Quote:These are normally printed out at 75 dpi for each ink and usually look OK.
4 inks times 75 dpi is 300 - which is where the 300 comes from.

Oh and Magazine offset plates are typically produced with screens of 150 to 200 lines per inch which actually equates to 300 to 400 dpi per colour.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
20 Nov 2020 4:52PM
After rechecking the originals, I think my real issue was that I cropped my images at the start of editing using the Facebook newsfeed sizes, and not the 16 x 12 ratio.

At 240 ppi, my originals are just slightly bigger than an actual 16 x 12 ins image.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 5:06PM

Quote:After rechecking the originals, I think my real issue was that I cropped my images at the start of editing using the Facebook newsfeed sizes, and not the 16 x 12 ratio.

At 240 ppi, my originals are just slightly bigger than an actual 16 x 12 ins image.

Aha, hopefully you have kept the originals... 16in x 12in is 4:3 btw, It may be an idea to have a look at different presentations. For instance one of my favourite presentations for monochrome is a very thin white border with a thin black keyline then a wider white border which is wider at the bottom and then mounted behind a mid grey matte, I tend to use a light grey square section frame. Hope that makes sense.
Tallmanirl 6 267 Ireland
20 Nov 2020 5:46PM
Thanks again!
I have the originals!
Iíll have a look at that presentation!😀
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
21 Nov 2020 8:49AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, we are not talking about magazine production.

The OP's mistaken belief is that 300 is a "magic number" is based on the common magazine requirement of 75 per ink.

Of course he isn't, he hasn't even mentioned magazine reproduction, he is talking about having prints produced by a lab probably using a printer such as a Fuji Frontier, labs request files be sent to them at 300ppi (not dpi) as that is a multiple/division of the native resolution of the printer giving the RIP less to calculate.

You seem to be ignoring the obvious point that the OP clearly seemed to think 300 is a major requirement - which it is not.
300 dpi is far from essential for high quality inkjet prints.
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
21 Nov 2020 9:20AM

Quote:

Ppi. Len.
At least get the terminology right.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
21 Nov 2020 9:36AM

Quote:You seem to be ignoring the obvious point that the OP clearly seemed to think 300 is a major requirement - which it is not.

The OP hasn't even mention Inkjet prints he is looking at a lab and a lab normally requests an image resolution of 300ppi.
As usual you are not reading what I have written... If you had you would have seen that I am not advocating 300ppi (not dpi please) or even 240ppi, all that I have said is that it gives the drivers less rounding up if the image resolution is a multiple/division of the hardware printers resolution and that the ppi of the image dictates what size it will print at (all depending on viewing distance).
You are also giving misinformation... please explain to me how magazines can print offset at 75dpi for each plate as that works out to a screen of 37.5 lines per inch, I am not sure that is even possible!
22 Nov 2020 8:55AM

Quote:
Quote:You seem to be ignoring the obvious point that the OP clearly seemed to think 300 is a major requirement - which it is not.

The OP hasn't even mention Inkjet prints he is looking at a lab and a lab normally requests an image resolution of 300ppi.

As I said before 300 ppi is FAR from essential.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2020 10:21AM

Quote:As I said before 300 ppi is FAR from essential.

At least you have used the correct terminology.
No it is not essential and if you had read what I have written you will see that I have explained why it is requested by printing labs, i.e. it is a multiple/division of the hardware printers native resolution meaning the RIP/driver is less prone to rounding errors, if you are printing at home the same applies, you send the file at 300ppi to a Canon Printer or 360ppi to an Epson (or multiple/division) in order to avoid these rounding errors.
As for your 4 x 75dpi for magazine printing that is completely wrong as a screen at 37.5 line per inch is impossible, the reason is that a 150 lines per inch screen used to be the norm and that for good results it was accepted that the ppi of the image should be 2x the screen.
22 Nov 2020 11:06AM

Quote:
No it is not essential and if you had read what I have written you will see that I have explained why it is requested by printing labs,

It was not required when I had prints 8 feet tall made for a major Exhibition - with the images eventually used on BBC Country File.

It is not required by the lab I would go to for 36 inch long panoramas.

While we are not directly discussing inkjet printers - my Epson P800 uses 240ppi, not your 360ppi.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2020 11:41AM

Quote:
It is not required by the lab I would go to for 36 inch long panoramas.

I did not say required, I said requested, look at most lab spec pages and they suggest 300ppi which is probably why most think it is important, I simply stick with 300ppi as that was required for the scientific journals and books that published my images so that they could use a 150 to 200 lines per inch screen to produce sufficient detail and 300 is fine for my Canon Printers.

Quote: Epson P800 uses 240ppi, not your 360ppi.

Ok I'm not familiar with Epson, but both figures are divisible Tongue
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
22 Nov 2020 6:46PM

Quote:While we are not directly discussing inkjet printers - my Epson P800 uses 240ppi, not your 360ppi.

It uses 360 and upscaling to 720 can/may be beneficial.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.