Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Assaulted photographing a child who had been causing trouble

Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
10 Nov 2010 8:53PM

Quote:Perhaps you haven't yet noticed similar events where you live like others and the OP have

Opening a paper one day to read a story on under age drinking only to find my own kids photographed for the story, that opened my eyes Sad

Quote:The trouble with us British types is that, we put up with a lot of wrong things and we do nothing about it

Is it us British, I was blaming those in Brussels Smile
newy17 15 273 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2010 8:53PM
Well its only going to get worseSad

Ive been driving a cab on nights for 25 years and if people had seen what ive seen they would be reaching for the Valium Tongue
I hate having to go out at night but its my job too, as i don't have a choice at the moment.
In the 25 years ive seen 4 murder's and 100's of people being beaten to near death.
In most case's ive tried to intervene and others its just not been possible.

Its hard to describe how it makes you feel when you see things like for example= an elderly gents head being smashed against the kerb and then used as a football while his wife is screaming for the scumbags to stop.
On that night the only way i could stop them killing him was to run them over in my cab.
After they got up and ran i followed them and directed the police to them which resulted in one being arrested Wink
I spoke to this poor gents wife a few days later to see how he was and she was saying the they'd gone out for a meal for his 65th birthday and for no reason they set about beating him to near death just for the fun of it. and sadly that's what you are up against.

I wish i could write a book but sadly my Grammar is crap lol..
cambirder 17 7.2k England
10 Nov 2010 9:00PM

Quote:I don't have a terrible outlook in life, I'm stating a fact

Sorry but your fact does not bear any resemblance of reality, and yes I do live in a city.

Quote:And it's thanks to the looney left party

Oh for goodness sake we have not had a left wing party in this country for decades, you sound like those ****wits in the Tea Party who believe their President is some kind of Marxist.

Quote:We just live with it and accept it and hope it doesn't affect us personally

On that point I agree with you. Bullies always go for the weak and if we act together we are strong, but too many people are unwilling to to get involved in supporting others in their local communities.
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
10 Nov 2010 9:24PM

Quote:On that point I agree with you. Bullies always go for the weak and if we act together we are strong, but too many people are unwilling to to get involved in supporting others in their local communities

I learned this week that our local youth club will be closing, something to do with slashed grants, some how I can`t see the moaners and groaners dipping in their pockets or helping out.
TrevW 12 118 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2010 8:18AM

Quote:I don't have a terrible outlook in life, I'm stating a fact

Sorry but your fact does not bear any resemblance of reality, and yes I do live in a city.

Haven't you read Newy17's post? Or anyone elses on this thread? Are they all liers?

Quote:Oh for goodness sake we have not had a left wing party in this country for decades.

No? Then what party was that that Diamond Dave has just taken over from? I was under the impression the Labour party were left, or is that wrong too?

Fancy a cup of tea? Wink
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2010 8:56AM

Quote:I was under the impression the Labour party were left, or is that wrong too?

The Labour party stopped any pretence of being left wing when Tony Blair took over.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Nov 2010 10:32AM
As 11:00am on the 11th of November approaches, let's remember that the social malaise affecting Britain today is not what so many of our armed forces fought and died for.

They must be turning - nay, spinning - in their graves.
11 Nov 2010 10:46AM

Quote:Haven't you read Newy17's post? Or anyone elses on this thread? Are they all liers?

If you had followed the thread properly you will see that my comment was aimed at purely TrevW's following statement, so I am not calling people liars.

Quote:Unfortunately, this country is just festering with scum in every corner of every city

Anyone with a reasonable grasp of reality will know this is total bullshit.

Quote:I was under the impression the Labour party were left, or is that wrong too?

Have you been hiding under a rock for the past 10 years? Did you not notice our so called left wing party toadying up to the most right wing ****wit President the US have ever produced, and will probably do the same if the US electorate completely loses it and put Sarah Palin or another of the tea party loonies in the White House.
sidaorb 15 3.9k 2 England
11 Nov 2010 12:39PM

Quote: Did you not notice our so called left wing party toadying up to the most right wing ****wit President the US have ever produced, and will probably do the same if the US electorate completely loses it and put Sarah Palin or another of the tea party loonies in the White House.

Nice to see the diplomacy classes are working well there Paul Wink

And no the country isn't full of the scum of the earth, in the majority it is full of normal and honest people, however this majority isn't newsworthy to the money hungry tabloids who peddle scaremongery with there daily dose of 'Z' list 'celeb' news.

Yep there are some real bad eggs out there (and we deal with them as best we can) but the country is nowhere near as bad as the press promote.
11 Nov 2010 12:52PM

Quote:Nice to see the diplomacy classes are working well there Paul

Yes, sorry I slipped into into rant mode there, but in my defence that was quite mild compared with the rhetoric of some of the attack ads that ran during the US mid term elections.
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
11 Nov 2010 3:08PM

Quote:Sorry but your fact does not bear any resemblance of reality

I'm afraid it does. Perhaps you've simply been fortunate.
Leif 16 777
11 Nov 2010 3:22PM
newy17: Good for you. If more people acted like you, the country would be a better place.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you were out asking for it Smile

Call the police and keep notes, sooner or later something will be done.

No, and no. I did call the police numerous times over the course of a year, but even when you dial 999 for a real emergency, it can take an hour before they arrive. They are very busy and reports such as "Some kids who I cannot identify are causing trouble" cannot be followed up. The only way is to get names and addresses. Taking photos of people in a public place is legal. Unfortunately these people have behavioural problems, and they are very manipulative. I would never have expected then to react as they did. Had I realised, I would have used a long lens, and scarpered PDQ.

However, my view is that ordinary people should not cower in fear in their homes. Standing up to these people is the only option in my view. Once the police have their identities, they can act. And in this case they have done, and hopefully prevented trouble for other people too. The police do want to act, but they need to be helped. And I'm not talking about vigilantes, which I condemn.

Life is not helped by the hysteria surrounding cameras and kids. Paedophilia is very rare, and I think most abuse occurs either in the home, or in a home. And yet there are now incredibly strict laws about how we may deal with kids and massive hysteria about someone taking photos of children which is in itself legal. It seems that we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.
11 Nov 2010 4:44PM

Quote:I'm afraid it does. Perhaps you've simply been fortunate.

If every corner of every city was filled with scum, just how could I be so fortunate having lived in one of these corners for the last 35 years? I say again the statement is pure bollocks of the highest order.
TrevW 12 118 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 2:36PM

Quote:I'm afraid it does. Perhaps you've simply been fortunate.

If every corner of every city was filled with scum, just how could I be so fortunate having lived in one of these corners for the last 35 years? I say again the statement is pure bollocks of the highest order.

Is it? Then feast your eyes over these goverment stats :-
Yes, they point to a downward trend, great news, but just look at the numbers! 10 million crimes. Thats TEN MILLION!! 10 million people whose lives have been affected. Is that pure bollocks? Yes, you've been very lucky that you've got away with it for so long. 10 million others have not. So its not pure bollocks or bullshit to them. Why not tell the gov sats that their figures are utter bollocks of the highest order?

Take your time to digest the real numbers here from the percentages. It's a lot of people.

link to the stats

British Crime Survey offences, England and Wales

The British Crime Survey (BCS) estimated that approximately
10.1 million crimes were committed against adults living in private households in England and Wales in 2007/08. This represents a fall of 48 per cent compared with a peak in 1995 of around 19.4 million crimes. The number of crimes estimated by the BCS rose steadily through the 1980s and early 1990s then declined steadily until 2004/05. The level then remained stable between 2004/05 and 2006/07 before declining between 2006/07 and 2007/08.

More than half (52 per cent) of all BCS offences in 2007/08 involved some kind of acquisitive crime. Vehicle related theft (which includes theft and attempted theft of, or from, motor vehicles) was the most common acquisitive crime accounting for 15 per cent of all BCS crime. Vandalism accounted for 27 per cent of all BCS crime and violent incidents accounted for more than one-fifth of all BCS crime (21 per cent).

The BCS measures both reported and unreported crime and as such provides a measure of trends in crime not affected by changes in public reporting to the police or police recording.

There were just under 5.0 million crimes recorded by the police in England and Wales in 2007/08. Nearly three-quarters (72 per cent) of these were property crimes, over a third (36 per cent) were offences against vehicles and other thefts, 21 per cent were criminal damage, 12 per cent were burglary and 3 per cent fraud and forgery. Violence against the person accounted for almost one-fifth (19 per cent) of all recorded crime. Police recorded crime figures fell for each of the main crime types with the exception of drug offences (which rose by 18 per cent) compared with 2006/07.
roxpix 17 2.2k 11 Scotland
12 Nov 2010 4:41PM
And sometimes it all ends in tragedy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.