Aurora Borealis Lights Up UK

User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Jan 2012 9:39AM

Quote:If the sky remains clear tonight, I'll be up at the SAS memorial on Hill o' Row at about 11.00 p.m. to see what is to be seen.

I did go but the cloud thickened just as I got there. However, those who had been at the viewpoint for some time by then said there had been nothing spectacular.
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
24 Jan 2012 1:13PM
I heard from another source that Irishman, who llives 20 miles from me here in Donegal, had a good show on Sunday night from dusk onwards. Yet I was keeping a look out (from our dark-sky country location) till 3 AM and saw absolutely nothing! For something that's so massive and comes all that way, the actual viewing of it seems incredibly localised. Ah well, next time...

Stephen
gaelldew 13 377 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 3:01PM
We will be lucky to even see the sky aint stopped raining yet today.
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Jan 2012 5:17PM
Yep - it looks like those of us who missed the opportunity on Sunday have lost out.

According to the News today, there is a much more powerful solar eruption heading towards Earth as we speak. It is expected to knock out satellites and cause serious communications outages in the Northern Hemisphere. If the projection is accurate, it could cause the Aurora to be visible tomorrow night as far south as Sunderland. But, as always, we would need clear skies and the forecast for that is not too good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.