Save & earn with MPB this Christmas; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Australia

collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
31 May 2007 8:29AM
Not sure where you are going, but I have just returned from Oz (Sydney) after spending a month there. All I can say is that the light is absolutely fantastic, the colours are much cleaner and my 20D did its job wonderfully. We hired a car and did the usual Hunter Valley and Blue Mountains but my favorite was Kangeroo Valley - absolutely breathtaking, reminded me a bit of the low patures in Switz and Austria. All my shots came out really well but the only thing I wish I had had was a Circular Polarizer Filter. This would have made the sky's a little darker and brought out the colours even better. I have one for other lenses but not for my 17-40 (yet). I found Oz very cheap. Food in bars and restuarants worked out around 15 per head and thats with main meal a few beers and wine. The car was about 200 for the week (A Holden Commodore about the size of an Omega). Fuel very cheap around 50p/L thats why they all run V8's. Have a great time and let me know how you get on. Colin PS: Look out for the Ute's they are so cool.
Nic_WA 17 179 2 Australia
31 May 2007 8:34AM
Whereabouts in Oz are you heading to?
auraalan 14 6
31 May 2007 8:38AM
Hi my wife and I are off to Oz in about 5 weeks im expecting delivary todayof a new Panasonic FZ50 I hope to bve able to master the camera before we go any tips welcome Thanks Alan
rossd 18 1.1k England
31 May 2007 8:35PM
Place called Wolf Creek is well worth a visit -(think they made a film there!! - it's on Channel 4 tonight 11.05). Just hope your car doesn't break down.
auraalan 14 6
1 Jun 2007 8:01AM
Thanks for your replies we are picking up a R.V. in Brisbane on our arrival and are heading south to N.S.W. to use as a base (just south of Byron Bay, then who knows where we shall go .We are over there for 5 weeks and plan to do a lot of sight seeing (phototaking). My new Panasonic FZ50 has just arrived now I have to read the book. Once again thanks for the replies will let you know how we get on with i hope some good pictures.
Rgds Alan
cf73 17 234 Australia
2 Jun 2007 9:41AM
Glad you had a good time,I emmigrated from the UK 16 years ago and yes it is a great country.
Funny you mention how great the light is, a lot of the time I find the light to bright/harsh. But oviously if you do a lot of landscape stuff the mornings and evenings are great.
Yes Kanagaroo Valley is a great spot, its only about 1 hour south of where I live and about 1 hour 45mins south of Sydney. If anyone is also a motorcyle rider it is also a great location for riding.

Cheers
Carl
jcuknz 14 79
2 Jun 2007 10:26AM
Used to the 'clean' light of New Zealand, one of the things I quite enjoyed was the soft 'dirty' light I found in some parts of the States. Foley Beach in SC was one place where it was noticeable and of course New York ... wide shots from the top of the Empire State Bldg were a waste of time except to show how bad it was Smile

The British Royal family have been keen togs from way back and I remember hearing that it took several films processed at the Govt Labs before her Majesty believed that the NZ light is different, brighter, than the UK . That was during the 1953-54 Tour.

We do get 'dirty' light in NZ such as today looking out over the Otago harbour with the light drizzle and thin wisps of cloud across the side of the peninsula hills ... it was quite beautiful.
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2007 7:14PM
How I envy you guy's! My visit confirmed why so many people love Oz (and NZ of course) If I was 30 years younger I might mocve there - but....... sigh!
auraalan 14 6
3 Jun 2007 10:02AM
will notify you guys on our return on how we got on
will also im sure have some great shots (to show off) Thanks for all your help, has anyone got a PanasonicFZ50 It would be interesting to find out what people think of it, plus any tips.
Chant57 Plus
15 395 3 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2007 10:07AM
I have a Panasonic FZ30. Lovely camera, noisy at high iso, but apart from that Im really happy with it having used it for a year now. I know with the FZ50 they were going to work on the noise problem, interesting to see if they have.
Have a lovely time in Oz, look forward to seeing images captured with the FZ50.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.