Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Auto Lens Retract feature on 750D

This feature doesn't seem to work on my 750D. The lens attached to the camera while trying this feature is 18-55 IS STM. Please help me with this.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

banehawi Plus
13 1.8k 3840 Canada
11 Oct 2017 7:29PM
The camera doesnt have an auto lens retract feature. Can you provide more info, - maybe I misunderstand? The leans attached to the camera, and you zoom it in and out manually with the zoom ring.
Fma7 2 794 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2017 7:44PM
Looks like it does

278466_1507747446.jpg

11 Oct 2017 7:55PM
I don't have a 750D but I do have the EF 40/2.8 lens mentioned in the quoted manual.

Note the manual says gear-driven STM lens - the 40/2.8 is gear driven, I don't know about the 18-55mm. Not all STM lenses are gear driven, therefore it may be not all STM lenses can use this feature.
banehawi Plus
13 1.8k 3840 Canada
11 Oct 2017 9:16PM
The lens doesnt support it, thanks for the updated information.

The EF 40mm STM, - does have a stepper motor but is not gear driven as far as I can tell, looking at the one I own. As far as I can see on the Canon site, - the M lenses have this feature?
11 Oct 2017 9:31PM
There are two variants of STM - the "main" one uses a motor-driven leadscrew to directly move a group of lens elements. The frame to hold the group and the leadscrew takes up a lot of space, though, and on some lenses there just isn't the room, so a much more compact geared mechanism drives the assembly instead. In such case, the lens is "gear-driven STM" whereas plain STM is really "leadscrew STM". The 40/2.8 is tiny and does not have the room for the leadscrew setup, so it is a gear-driven variant. The 50/1.8 STM is the same, as is the EF-S 24mm.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.