50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Autumn meet - The New Forest

Juliee 14 382 4 England
25 Jun 2011 2:45PM
Way back in February, at the Climping meet, a few of us discussed the possibility of a trip to The New Forest, probably in late October, for the Autumn colour
As our Isle of Wight trip took a fair bit of planning, I thought we'd better start thinking about this and what we'd all like it to include.

Sarah and I thought we'd like to make a weekend of it, especially as it's quite a way for those coming from Kent & East Sussex. So we'll have to hunt to around for some B&B's, depending on how many may go for this option.

I've been told of a few places in the forest that would be worth a visit. I'll report back once I've fished out the details...

If we do decide to make this a bigger trip, we should be able to manage an early morning in the forest in a few various locations, Poole Harbour/Brownsea island and maybe a some other places around the area.

Just gathering ideas at the moment and trying to get an idea of how many would be interested.
Any thoughts?
25 Jun 2011 3:21PM
Not done a 'meet' before on here but sounds perfect so I'll dip a toe in and give it a go (date dependent).
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
25 Jun 2011 4:51PM
Is the New Forest in SUSSEX? Tongue

I'm up for a weekender, but as you say, we need to start planning soon. Although if we leave it as late as possible it might become cheaper.
catgirl73 13 144 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2011 6:42PM
Hi I've not done a meet before either and always wanted to pay a visit to the New Forest.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
25 Jun 2011 7:26PM
Perhaps there could be a joint meet with other epz members down in Dorset ?
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2011 8:01PM
I was wondering about that. Depending on timing I may be able to make it (I live in Christchurch) just depends if it clashes with craft markets and the like
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2011 9:57PM
We had a couple of fungi meets in the forest that were fun last autumn (it was a great season for fungi!).

Trying to get a Dorset meet together this summer has been an uphill struggle! Brian and I have discussed this in the past and considered a Hengistbury Head/ Stanpit Marshes? meet after the Craft fair season - not sure when the closed season is!

The fungi are sprouting as we speak down here.................late Sept/early to Mid Oct are usually good for autumn colour/general mellow fruitfulness (and then there is the Cider festival in our village.................Wink.)
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
25 Jun 2011 10:13PM

Quote:and then there is the Cider festival in our village.

I have no doubt that this will be of interest to someone Wink
Ade_Osman 18 4.5k 36 England
25 Jun 2011 11:03PM
Someone mention CIDER!....Hic!....Bookmarking this thread as a bumpkin from Somerset I may make the trip if I'm sober enough to drive Hic!

Ade
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2011 9:14AM
The cider event is usually the week end before half term (15/16 October in 2011 I expect) It it is worth a visit I reckon - then of course I can walk home.....SmileTongue
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
26 Jun 2011 2:06PM
Is the idea to trave down and meet up on Friday evening and return on Sunday, that is stay for two nights ?

mmm

Had a quick search for B&B's New Forest

Not sure we are going to be able to find a B&B with enough suitable rooms for overnight accommodation for us all.

More practicable perhaps would be to consider somewhere like a Travel Lodge / Premier Inn type place.

At the moment I am not sure I can make it, so go ahead and make all the arrangements and I will fit in if I can nearer the time.

Jeff
Juliee 14 382 4 England
27 Jun 2011 12:00PM
No set plans as yet, Jeff, just gathering ideas at the moment.
Glad we have a few takers though. Paul and Sonia have indicated they're in too.

Normally we have our Sussex Autumn meets at the end of October for the colour, just wondering if earlier in the month is better in the forest? (Trying hard to put thoughts of cider aside Grin)
Where we stay will depend on how many are up for the weekender idea I suppose. Also wondering about transport for us 'out of towners'.....I'm happy to drive again, although we may need more space if we're taking over night bags.

Any ideas for locations in and around the forest from 'the locals'? (I trust the cider is proper good scrumpy?Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.