Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Available tools to carry a camera

ams99 Junior Member 9 65 9 England
7 Aug 2011 4:39PM
Having just returned from a family holiday i discovered it is a real pain carrying around a dslr hanging from my neck, even though its only a Nikon D5000 with standard 18-55mm lens. Is there anything out there to make carrying these things more comfortable. It's not pleasant having these things bounce off your belly in 35 degrees heat.

Also, the damn Nikon neck strap came undone dropping my camera onto the concrete floor. Fortunately i was sitting on a wall at the time so only bruised my lens cap
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
7 Aug 2011 4:55PM
I use one of these straps , the dslr sits perfectly between hip and middle. I have the camera pointing towards my groin, not as shown here. It doesn't move an inch so your hands are free all the time and don't have to stop the camera jumping all over the place and is ready for use instantly. Better than having it hanging from one shoulder down one side of your body as well.
7 Aug 2011 5:30PM
Thank you for that link. I've just followed it up on you tube and gathered some information on the Carry Speed strap which is very similar but seemingly less expensive. One thing is for certain, i will not be trusting my Nikon neck strap again. Once again thank you.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 5:30PM
I have recently changed to a similar system to saltire for much the same reason as you, although i much prefer it over the neck strap i get very concerned when walking around with it as it bounces alot against my body.
so i find when walking I tend to hold it with a hand grip more securely letting the strap take the weight and countering the bounce, when stationery its perfect as it sits very comfortable and no strain on neck.

Not perfect but much more suitable for me, costs a tenner on ebay which isnt to much of a problem for a low value item.
7 Aug 2011 5:43PM
I also found myself holding the camera whilst slung around my neck which i thought defeated the object of my neck strap. However, when i didn't the inevitable happened and the camera strap came undone. Sad

I think i will give the Carry Speed over shoulder one a go. Well, i'll put it on my birthday wish list which is getting longer every day. I hope the wife's bank account is full ..... Smile
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 5:58PM
Another vote for the black rapid strap. Even with the 1D with a 70-200mm on it's comfortable to carry for long periods.
7 Aug 2011 7:58PM
Another vote for Black Rapid. Use mine with a 5D Mk II and 24-105L with no problems. I slide it behind my hip when walking and it doesn't seem to bounce. I think if you find it does then try adjusting strap length till it stops.
Draig37 13 252 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 8:34PM
Just changed to a Black Rapid - my goodness what a difference. hardly know I got my camera over my shoulder - well impressed with it.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Aug 2011 10:02PM
Optech Pro, Or the similar KATA model..........Brilliant all day long, Loads cheaper than Black Rapid .....Grin

Hold up! Wot about the " ePHOTOzine " strap.........Those who use them reckon they are FAB Virgil, Even cheaper still......Smile

Just how many peeps have had a makers strap undo itself, Assuming it was fitted properly in the first place.....?

Normally they are a pain in the butt to get off, One of the reasons we switched to quick release Optech/Kata models and have never looked back.

Wink
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 10:34PM
the op doesnt want a strap that lets the camera hang on your front.... Smile
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
7 Aug 2011 10:52PM

Quote:Just how many peeps have had a makers strap undo itself

Well, I have and also an Optech has as well.
On the rare occasions I go out with a strap attached to the camera I hold the camera in one hand as well !
MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 11:50PM
...I've had a few different straps but I now use a wrist strap that I made from an old neck strap and I carry my camera / lens comfotably.
...my usual combination only weighs some 1600 grams but don't know it's there...hence the strap.
indemnity 12 334
8 Aug 2011 12:32AM
I take the wife. SmileWink
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
8 Aug 2011 12:43AM
Gave up neckstraps quite a while ago. Wrist straps only now, however large or small the camera. Smile
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
8 Aug 2011 1:04AM
Have been looking for a wrist strap. Found one eventually on ebay but it was too pricey for me Sad

Where do you get yours, CB?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.