Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Avatar 3D Special Edition - extra footage added

montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 8:11PM
Just seen the advert on TV tonight for the new extended "Special Edition" 3D Avatar in the cinemas.

Looks like another 8 minutes of footage have been added.

Coming to a cinema near you soon I hope................................

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigRick 10 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 10:22PM

Quote:Just seen the advert on TV tonight for the new extended "Special Edition" 3D Avatar in the cinemas.

Looks like another 8 minutes of footage have been added.

Coming to a cinema near you soon I hope................................

certainly not worth my 8 for a ticket to watch it again then.... 1 per minute is a bit steep for me. Smile
26 Aug 2010 4:40AM
Agree with the sentiment BigRick - I feel that Avatar fans are being used / seduced / tempted by marketing people here exploiting the special effects / 3D on the big screen aspect.

My wife has insisted we go however (SWMBO) - which will be a record 3 times for us that we have seen the same film in the same cinema.

The extra 8 mins doesn't seem much to justify re-launching a "Special Edition" so soon - but it will be interesting to see how the public respond.
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 7:35AM
It was too long in the first place. It does not need a few more minutes of running time.
26 Aug 2010 7:40AM
Apparently these are totally new scenes and effects - so I will look forward to seeing them and what they add to the film.

I never had the thought the original was too long - I enjoyed every minute of it - so much we saw it twice.

I suppose it's what the new scenes add to the overall impact of the film and the story itself.
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 10:03AM
I'ld pay to go to the cinema and see it in 2D.

Though those 3D glasses killed the spectacle somewhat
JamesGarfield 6 915 4 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 10:11AM
Just booked my tickets, not because of the extra footage but because I didn't get to see it in 3D at the cinema, can't wait.
26 Aug 2010 2:22PM
I have to say I really enjoyed the 3D effect - although it was slightly better the second time we saw the film when we sat centre / centre rather than off to one side of the screen.

On the second viewing in a better seating postion, I actually leaned to one side to avoid something coming out of the screen and I didn't do that first time around.

@JamesGarfield - it's a great cinematic experience - you won't be disappointed
RichBrew 5 151 England
26 Aug 2010 6:48PM

Quote:It was too long in the first place. It does not need a few more minutes of running time.

If these further eight minutes are relevant to the film, why weren't they included in the initial release?

RichBrew
26 Aug 2010 8:01PM
@RichBrew - I believe there are a couple of scenes filmed but not included in the first release and some more special effects - and I agree with you - in a film of this length another 8 minutes is nothing - unless the marketeers thought they could attract another wave of viewings for a "special edition" release.

The special edition DVD apparently has another 18 minutes of running time.......... food for thought there.
26 Aug 2010 8:49PM

Quote:why weren't they included in the initial release?
money? Not sure how much the film cost to make - various figures on the net of $100 - $500 million... thats alot of money to get back at the box office so I suppose the marketing machine may have gone into overdrive just to be on the safe side Wink

perhaps.
26 Aug 2010 9:04PM
$1bn in 17 days

According to the BBC
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
26 Aug 2010 9:09PM
Gawd you cynical lot - just go and enjoy it.Tongue
26 Aug 2010 10:11PM

Quote:Gawd you cynical lot - just go and enjoy it
OK boss Wink
27 Aug 2010 7:05AM
Already booked to go (now our third viewing) - despite the critics reviews - we all want to see it again in 3D on the big screen.........

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.