Regatta Offer: Save 15% on 'Top Picks' With Code TP15

Aviation Photography

jaguar3 14 10
29 Mar 2007 11:21PM
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on taking aircraft against a bright sky. Many of todays fast jets are light grey but a lot of my previous shots have turned out underexposed, with a dark plane and washed out white sky.

I've just upgraded to an EOS 400D so looking to improve my photo taking skills. Any hints and tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob
User_Removed 16 4.9k England
30 Mar 2007 12:38AM
Cos you're metering a huge bright sky and a little tiny plane.
Use + exposure Compensation
geoffash26 17 2.5k United Kingdom
30 Mar 2007 7:41AM
Meter on the ground in manual mode and leave the setting like that foe the shots in the sky
Small adjustments may need to be used as the light fluctuates
Practice and practice is also a good way to start
Geoff
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
30 Mar 2007 9:16AM
You could also use Spot Metering, However you will need to be quick and meter the aircraft " Lock Exposure " And recompose composition.

Sounds diffricult, But in practice it's not that hard, and as Geofflash say's PRACTICE.

Vince
User_Removed 16 4.9k England
30 Mar 2007 9:27AM
Photographic aircraft tips/techniques

If you've a Nikon, it should be right for you.
Any other make.....don't forget to wear the Sandals or it won't read right. [;-D
Col
Sorry.....that links pretty useless try Metering against a bright sky
javam 17 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2007 10:49AM
I have used spot metering and leaving it on manual, but adding some exposure compensation tends to work for nearly all situations for me.
Dazbo 16 115 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2007 5:01PM
Have a look at Airliners.net , the biggest and most technically involved aviation photography website there is. I upload a lot of my aviation photo's on there and beleive me, its a tough place to show off your work! Its the main website where airlines and aviation magazines source photo's so a good place to show off your work.

Darren
Camaro 15 7 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2007 4:41PM
Hi Jaguar

As the others have said, you need to adjust your exposure compensation to the '+' side - i.e. over expose a little.
For my aviation stuff I quite often use Centre Weighted metering rather than Spot as this allows me a bit of leeway when tracking a fast moving aircraft.

Darren hit the nail on the head with his advice to have a look at Airliners.net. The forums are full of excellent techincal tips and these days it is an achievent in itself to have photos accepted onto the database (they have incredibly high standards).

Keep at it matey....it gets even more difficult when you start doing air to air stuff!

Glynn

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.