Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

b&w in camera ....daft question?

16 Sep 2004 10:43PM
have b&w pic taking mode in camera and was wondering if any diff tonal quality wise taking in that or changing from colour in psp? took a couple of portraits in b&w mode and looks like slightly more depth ...or am i going mad lol in other words does the chip read the situation any differently in each mode? as new to most of this be gentle lol
stuart
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2004 10:57PM
The camera still reads in colour, as each pixel has a red green or blue filter placed on it. So when the camera makes a B/W picture it has to decide how much brightness of each colour it should take to decide on the brightness of the grey.

Try taking some colour pictures and splitting it into the Red, Green or Blue channels to see how much light you get. Taking from the red channel is like putting a red filter on your lens. Deciding how much of each colours brightness you take alters the photo.

Don't have PSP so I struggle to advise you on how to do this on your PC.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
17 Sep 2004 11:29AM
The latest edition of Practical Photography has a whole section of black and photography. It seems it's best to photograph in colour (if using digital) and then convert to black and white with software. Apparently using the b&w option on most digitals means you don't get much contrast and you need to adjust it with software.

Ashley
17 Sep 2004 4:43PM
thanks john and ashley for your replies havnt got round to getting this month edition of prac photo will need to get over the weekend Smile and john yep i know how to do that on psp but couldnt fig out why i would need to - now i know lolol thanks again guys
stuart
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
17 Sep 2004 6:42PM
Hi Stuart

If you've been getting Practical Photography for a while (and still have your old issues) look back at page 42 in the May edition.

It shows how to turn a colour photo to black and white and then how to make it look as good as a "proper" black and white film photo.

Yes, of course, it shows how to do it in Photoshop but you shouldn't have too much trouble following it in PSP.

Ashley
sophiehw 17 382
17 Sep 2004 7:35PM
A big advantage to doing it in the computer is that there's more than one way to do it.

Rather than just clicking the Grey Scale menu item, I like to try the Colours->Split Channel->Split to RGB command. This creates three B&W images, one from red, one from blue and one from green. Then you can compare all three images and see if any look better than a simple desaturation.
19 Sep 2004 9:10AM
thanks ashley and sophie for replying bummer dont have the may edition april and june yep will need to get this months then
tried that one spohie gives some wierd effects split then played then merged them all again gave a completely diff feel to the pic must need to fiddle more thanks agian stuart
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
19 Sep 2004 10:48AM
Sophie - that's providing the camera has this mode. You can do the same with PSP and Photoshop (I believe).

Ashley
sophiehw 17 382
19 Sep 2004 12:34PM
providing the camera has what mode?
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
19 Sep 2004 1:29PM
There's an article in EPZ's Techiques section - HERE - which may be of interest or help.
19 Sep 2004 1:42PM
thanks cb gonny go have a look thanks for yer reply Smile oh and btw have fun with yer new camera when you get it lol stuart

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.