Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Back Button Problem

macroman 17 15.3k England
12 Aug 2012 12:46PM
I am having problems with the 'Back Button' If I open a page or click on a thumbnail in the gallery the page opens OK, but to return to the previous page I have to click on the 'back button' several times, (3-5 times) before anything happens.
Using IE9 & Vista 32.

Any ideas why this has started happening?
adrian_w 13 3.8k 4 England
12 Aug 2012 2:33PM
glad you posted this; I've had this problem for a few weeks now, had to click 3 times before anything happened. Now I'm up to 5 or 6 clicks. I thought it wa something wrong with my mouse although it doesn't happen on any other site.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 2:39PM
What OS and browser are you using Adrian ?
adrian_w 13 3.8k 4 England
12 Aug 2012 3:45PM
Windows XP & IE9
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 4:00PM
Hmm - seems Ok for me on IE9 & Windows 7.
I'll falg this for the technical caps to look at tomorrow.
12 Aug 2012 4:11PM
As with Adrian, it doesn't happen on other sites, (so far).
oldblokeh 9 1.2k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 4:22PM
This issue is often caused by the advertising scripts that rotate through different ads. Each time a new ad is loaded the browser is interpreting it as a new page load as far as browser history is concerned. It's a pain. On IE9, try clicking and holding on the back button. This will make the whole history pop up and you can select how far back you want to go.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 4:28PM
Interstingly, I have noticed that I click on a EPZ page and the little blue circle on the browser tab rotates for ages but the page does not appear. If I click on the address bar (the bit that shows 'https://www.ephotozine...") and hit return, the page comes up quickly. This has been going on for two weeks or so.
I use Windows7 and IE9.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 4:30PM

Quote:This issue is often caused by the advertising scripts that rotate through different ads. Each time a new ad is loaded the browser is interpreting it as a new page load as far as browser history is concerned. It's a pain. On IE9, try clicking and holding on the back button. This will make the whole history pop up and you can select how far back you want to go.

e-mails crossed.
So why does it only happen with EPZ? Why does the page load quickly if I click on the address bar and hit return?
oldblokeh 9 1.2k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 4:38PM

Quote:So why does it only happen with EPZ? Why does the page load quickly if I click on the address bar and hit return?

My only suggestion involves a lot of hand waving and mumbling about ad-rotator scripts, caching and possible dns slowness. By the way, with my Win7 and IE9 the back button works fine, but once used, you can't then use the forward button, owing to the aforementioned rotators, I suspect.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2012 9:02AM
Hi Mike,

I would suggest creating a report so we can gather some further information about your computer and your problem:

https://www.ephotozine.com/create-report

Sometimes this may happen if you have just posted a comment as this creates an extra page in your history.

Best Regards,
David
bainsybike 11 337 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2012 9:28AM

Quote:I am having problems with the 'Back Button' If I open a page or click on a thumbnail in the gallery the page opens OK, but to return to the previous page I have to click on the 'back button' several times, (3-5 times) before anything happens.
Using IE9 & Vista 32.

I have the same problem, IE9 and Windows 7/64. I've only noticed it on this site. I'll try creating a report.
rhousham 13 435 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2012 1:02PM
Hi guys, thanks for the report - I thought I'd reply here as many of you have the same problem.
Basically it does indeed seem to be a problem with some of the advertising ads and google but what is odd that it only applies to some releases of internet explorer 9 and in some cases 8.

As a solution, I would try these steps.
1. Download updates - to do this type update into the start menu and then click windows updater.
2. Once that is done - you might need to restart your machine.
3. If the problem still exists then I would try and restart your internet explorer with no ad ons.
4. If this does solve the problem then I would mange your ad ons and then disable them all and then slowly bring them back until you can find the one causing the problem.
5. Other suggestions are to clear your browser cache - internet options -> browsing history -> delete and check history/temporary internet files.
6. If all else fails then if you click the reset button in internet options advanced tab then might help. internet options -> advanced.

Having said all that we will continue to investigate further.
Regards
Richard
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Aug 2012 3:35PM
No such problems with Windows 7 and Firefox.
13 Aug 2012 3:44PM
Thanks Richard,
Tried the steps one by one, although Windoze is on auto update.
Nothing worked until I tried(6) advanced => reset, now everything seems OK, and pages seem to load faster.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.