Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Back Up

11 Jan 2017 11:16AM
Be warned. I have just learnt a valuable lesson for the second time, always back -up. The external Seagate Plus 2.5 Slim hard drive ( which I've had since August 2015) where I download, back up and use for my images has just failed. It was working fine then suddenly stopped working, the lead is O.K. and when I connect it to the computer it makes a beeping noises for a few seconds then nothing. My nephew who is very tech minded has tried to get it working, taking it out of the case and connecting via a docking thing, still not working. He then said try the freezer trick ( wrapping it up and putting in the freezer over night then trying again ) I was a bit sceptical but tried this, still not working. It means I have lost most of my original and edited images taken since August 2015 . The one good thing is that, I have some prints and I can retrieve many of them from my EPZ portfolio, which is what I am now doing, so many, many thanks to EPZ. Needless to say I will now back up and back up more often, and not leave it till another day.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
7 7.0k 33 Norway
11 Jan 2017 11:51AM
The importance of multiple back-ups can never be stressed too often.
I have 3 physical back-ups - (one kept at work in case of fire/theft at home) and one in the cloud.

Hope you manage to retrieve the lost images, and one other tip - even though ePz has the facility to download your own images, it might not always be that way, and ePz does warn against using the site for image storage.
janeez Plus
8 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2017 11:56AM
Before the freezer thing it was highly likely your images could have been recovered but might still be. Not quite sure what effect freezing will have on it. You could try PC World if they have a technical department or an online recovery company but be prepared it is very, very costly. Just let them know it has been in the freezer. I back up to three devices and cloud storage but as this is slow any customer files that I know will take time are put onto USBs and come with me if I am going away for a length of time. Then again I am a wedding and commercial photographer so would be somewhat over the top for most people Wink What I am driving at is back up to the hilt if you don't want to risk losing anything and try Solid State Drives as they are the safest option now.
JackAllTog Plus
8 4.7k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2017 1:23PM
There are further data recovery options possible where people open the disc unit up and then reassemble the parts just enough to read the data - though these are potentially a few hundred pounds.

Sometimes a more powerful USB port or external power supply may help the disk unit, but your nephews docking station should have covered this.

If your on to last ditch attempts that might also be your last go at getting the data then,
Another trick like the freezer one is to hold the bare disk unit on the axis of the spindle and with a hammer apply a sharp knock to the corner of the case to cause the whole disk unit to spin as if on the axis - the idea here like the freezer trick is that you can separate a stuck head from the disk platter. This has twice worked for me in the past though I've not had to try it for years now. Your Nephew might try this for you.
DerekL Plus
12 176 24 England
11 Jan 2017 8:30PM
Have you tried contacting Seagate direct?
They may be able to help you with a simple low cost solution. It can cost anything up to 350 for major recovery work.
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/services-software/recover/
exposure Plus
13 4.7k England
12 Jan 2017 9:07AM
Hi I have a Seagate external hard drive which I also had a problem with after only using it twice,I was told it would cost me 100 euro's to get the data recovered which I couldn't afford at the time...My Seagate was corrupted, I left it a couple of months or so....Then decided to try it again.....& It works again with no problems..
12 Jan 2017 10:36AM
Many thanks for the advice, I will try all suggestions except the costly ones. Luckily I had copied some of the most precious images (of my Grandson) on to a usb to give to my son, so I can get those back. I'm now looking to get a solid state drive. Thanks again.
13 Jan 2017 8:20PM

Quote:I'm now looking to get a solid state drive.

Or two.....Wink
14 Jan 2017 12:28PM
When a SSD fails it is generally considered that the data is gone forever, but when a HDD goes it is generally possible to recover it.

Thanks for reminding me that I have to do a backup. Smile
KevSB 13 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2017 6:27PM
Think about getting a NAS drive, backs it itself up constently over multiple drives

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.