GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Backpacks - where to put the heavyweight?

collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 5:49PM
Forgot to mention most good quality Rucsacs nowadays also have a chest harness which is further help in speading the load.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SueEley 13 279 96 Wales
21 Dec 2011 7:01PM
I have not found a photo back pack which is as comfortable as a 'real' one, cos I've never seen one with a frame. But I would love someone to tell me there is one and I can afford it! Have used a fairly big Lowepro AW and it was okay, but not great for me. But I don't have lots of big lenses, so packing my equipment in equipment bags in a frame rucksack is possible. My husband has gone down the same road, for the same reasons.
MeanGreeny 14 3.7k England
21 Dec 2011 10:25PM

Quote:I have not found a photo back pack which is as comfortable as a 'real' one, cos I've never seen one with a frame.

F-Stop Gear Tilopa Photo Backpack ?

Kata GDC R-103 ?
22 Dec 2011 12:00PM

Quote:frame rucksack is possible

Frame Rucsac - !!!!!!!!!!! Where on earth do you live - framed Rucsacs went out with the Dinosaurs --- (8o)

I have a LowePro Rover which allthough not as good as an expedition rucsac it works quite well and is extremely comfortable
SueEley 13 279 96 Wales
22 Dec 2011 4:18PM
Well, I find a framed rucksack ventilates and spreads the load better. And good ones tend to be lighter. But then, maybe I am a dinosaur! You see plenty of them in outdoor shops, though... Seriously though, I have had LowePro ones which I used in Slovenia and HongKong, hiking. Not as comfortable as my regular pack that has taken me up Cadair Idris, Pen y Fan and a few more this year. Another nice thing I have, which I was pleased with last week is a fully waterproof back pack (rubberised). Wouldn't want to take it far and it has no frame, but it kept my kit dry when a wave broke over it. Thanks, MeanGreeny - I'll look into those. I think this is where Focs on Imaging comes in handy, cos buying a pack untried is not sensible.
SueEley 13 279 96 Wales
22 Dec 2011 4:45PM
Just noticed Paramo in Covent Garden sell F-Stop. Interesting.
MeanGreeny 14 3.7k England
22 Dec 2011 5:54PM
Paramo........ mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......................................................
22 Dec 2011 7:42PM

Quote:Well, I find a framed rucksack ventilates and spreads the load better. And good ones tend to be lighter. But then, maybe I am a dinosaur! You see plenty of them in outdoor shops, though... Seriously though, I have had LowePro ones which I used in Slovenia and HongKong, hiking. Not as comfortable as my regular pack that has taken me up Cadair Idris, Pen y Fan and a few more this year. Another nice thing I have, which I was pleased with last week is a fully waterproof back pack (rubberised). Wouldn't want to take it far and it has no frame, but it kept my kit dry when a wave broke over it. Thanks, MeanGreeny - I'll look into those. I think this is where Focs on Imaging comes in handy, cos buying a pack untried is not sensible.

Sue, you clearly are not a Dinosaur so I apologise for that. When you quoted 'Framed Rucsacs' I thought you were refering to the old Aluminium ones that I had when I was a Scout (refuse to tell you how long ago that was), My current Berghaus does have a sort of frame in strong duo plastic with a nylon mesh and I agree that does give breathing space to the back, I never considered it as a frame.

Blacks in Paternoster Square has massive sales discounts on at the moment plus further discount at the till. Bought a pair of Burghaus Thermal Gloves for £2.75 instead of £17.

When in Slovenia did you go to Postojna Caves - I went about 6 years ago and they are one of the most spectacular wonders I have ever seen - will remain in my memory a long time.

Merry Xmas.
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
22 Dec 2011 9:17PM
Just strap it all to a fishing trolley like I do. Smile
mohikan22 15 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2011 8:59AM
logic and gravity tell you... heavy stuff at the bottom.....common physics..
23 Dec 2011 4:49PM

Quote:logic and gravity tell you... heavy stuff at the bottom.....common physics..

Watch the next expedition documentary and you'll find you are wrong.
SueEley 13 279 96 Wales
23 Dec 2011 5:02PM
Collywobbles - we went to Pekel caves and they were amazing, too. Everything we saw on the whole trip was amazing! Would love to go back one day. The close to the body idea of loading heavy stuff makes a lot of sense to me. Also, where the load can't shift. Anything that hangs out from the body or moves around doesn't help sureness of foot. One reason why tripods need to be well secured.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2011 5:09PM
The theories of packing rucsacks has alternated over that last 40 years but the two key things I have fond are: pack the things you need most towards the top: what is the point of packing a very light sleeping bag on top when you actually need things like food and first aid kit during the walk. And secondly it is not so much getting heavier things at the bottom, as getting heavier things closes to your back so they don't pull you backwards.
Anyways, I googled 'how to packa rucksack and the advice was equally varied, so I thought I would quote the Duke of Edinburgh website which will cater for all levels of activity:

on.

Quote:What goes where?

The consideration of the order in which you pack things in your rucksack can be simplified to the interplay between the two major factors: balance/comfort and accessibility.
•Kit that’s only required last thing at night should go towards the bottom of the rucksack; e.g. sleeping bag/liner should be right at the bottom. Things that are needed quickly like waterproofs, snacks, water and first-aid should be quickly accessible near the top or in side pockets.
•Symmetrical. Try and get the side-to-side weight balance even and have nothing protruding from the rucksack into your back/ribs etc. Even a slightly mis-balanced pack will give you a sore neck/shoulder/back after a days walking; a full water bottle in only one side pocket is not a good idea…
•Try to concentrate the weight as close to your back as possible to prevent you unbalancing on climbs/descents.
•Heavy items. This top-or-bottom-of-rucksack debate needn’t be so complicated; for normal walking on easy going terrain, heavy items near the top of the pack allow you to get the weight over your centre of gravity by leaning slightly. This option also allows for very easy tuning of weight transfer to hips or shoulders using the appropriate straps. THIS IS A GOOD THING. The only disadvantage is that the high centre of mass makes it quite hard to balance when you’re on awkward or extremely steep terrain. In this case, moving heavy items down the bag towards your waist makes it much easier to balance, but will tend to drag the weight onto your hips and pull back at your shoulder straps giving a secure but more sluggish feeling. In general, you shouldn’t be experiencing this kind of terrain on DOE expeditions so the first option is probably most useful for the majority of people.
•If possible, the zipped lower compartments of rucksacks for sleeping bags shouldn’t be sealed off with the internal divider; this creates a shear plane allowing the rucksack to twist and flex which upsets the weight balance between shoulder and hips. This will give you a sore back.

So take your pick and do what suits you.

http://www.pembsdoe.org.uk/?page_id=49
Zatoichi 10 707 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2011 5:22PM

Quote:Logic and gravity tell you... heavy stuff at the bottom.....common physics..

Just not when carrying a heavy rucksack. At least in the mountaineering world the logic is that the heavy stuff goes on top - the theory being that the weight is supported by the rucksack waist belt on your hips and the shoulder straps balance everything.

The simple answer is to try it. 28 posts on packing a rucksack, amazing Tongue
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2011 5:39PM
Just been googling this and I like this one that goes for the middle.
Hows that for a compromise Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.