Bad year for kingfishers

31 Aug 2012 10:43AM
This has been a bad year for kingfishers, with a very cold winter followed by rivers flooding and Minks killing them.
In Hampshire the trend is much better with very successful breeding.
I would love to hear of how they have faired in other parts of the UK?
It would also be good to share other information ( not Locations ) but set ups etc.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2012 10:59AM
It has not been good in the North West that I can tell.
The population in Mere Sands Reserve in Lancashire has plummeted in the last couple of years and none were seen at all this year. I have had very few sightings where I live in Cheshire.
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
31 Aug 2012 11:29AM
Seems to have been a bad year for a lot of species, my moth recording numbers have been very low up to now! I heard on the BBC News this morning that it's officially that it's been the wettest year in a 100 years and that it's also the 2nd wettest year since records began. I'm not surprised that some wildlife species numbers have crashed Sad

Ade
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2012 12:05PM
And al l because some numpty decided to put a hosepipe ban in May! Wink

On the canals and revers round us we are seeing new broods of waterbirds even now so they are making some sort of comeback. Fingers crossed for next year.
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
31 Aug 2012 12:19PM
Only just noticed the error in my last post, apologies I was distracted grrrr.....

Quote:And all because some numpty decided to put a hosepipe ban in May!

I was only saying that to the wife last night Grin

Ade
1 Sep 2012 3:27PM
Love to know if anyone knows of any kingfishers in my neck of the woods, don't drive bit limited travel wise, west midlands area Grin

Kathryn
1 Sep 2012 5:24PM
Upton Warren Kathryn.
Jump on a train and come to Basingstoke?
I'll pick you up from the station, I'm in my 70s and don't bite?.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.