Ballet school photos... Help!

blackbird 13 159 15 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 2:55PM
My daughter's ballet school has its Christmas production tonight and I'm going to take some pictures for them.
I would welcome some advice on how to go about this.....

I shall be backstage so fairly close to the action albeit sideways! I'm hoping I shall also be able to take some 'getting ready' candids as well as the 'line-up' record shots that the ballet school want.
I am debating whether its best to use a short zoom for flexibility - I have a nikon 18-70mm, or use the 50mm f1.8 which is much faster and will hopefully focus better. Also how far can I push the iso on the D80? When does noise become unacceptable?
Please give me your pearls of wisdom as I may have been a bit rash in offering to do this with no previous experience of this sort of thing, and now I have the jitters....lol
It's not a paid job just a favour really but I would like to do it as well as I can
Many thanks Merille

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Barbaraj 12 450 England
8 Dec 2007 3:42PM
Good luck, I'm not qualified to give you advice, but to say that if the ballet school wants you to take photos, get them to make it clear at the begining to the assembled crowd , that you are there on their behalf. Otherwise you might get a rant from a parent.

I found when taking photos of a pantomime at churchthe stage lighting was harsh.
Best wishes
barbara
8 Dec 2007 4:04PM
Thanks for the reply Barbara

Quote: the stage lighting was harsh

lol I was hoping for atmospheric...

Quote: Otherwise you might get a rant from a parent

together with the girls stage fright and my nerves, there may well be tears before bedtime !!
doug_7 14 482 England
8 Dec 2007 4:37PM
Hi Merille, just done a few of these, well variety show type pics. Could not use flash but I used a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR lens and managed to capture a few good pics. ISO 400 with lens set to A.
Good luck
8 Dec 2007 5:11PM
thanks Dougie, I haven't got VR although I'm sure it would be very useful.....
I was thinking of ISO 800 or is that just too noisy?
doug_7 14 482 England
8 Dec 2007 5:37PM
Well I`m playing with my new D300 and 800 looks quite good on that. Most stage productions are quite bright (follow spots) so I would think 400 would be ample. You could even try 5.6, best thing is to do a few test shots and then just fire away changing the A a few times. Each dance will last about 2 1/2 - 3 mins so it gives you plenty of time to play around. By the way, wear BLACK known in the trade as blacks.
8 Dec 2007 6:06PM
That sounds like good advice, especially the..
Quote:By the way, wear BLACK known in the trade as blacks

I'm off now to change out of my magenta cardigan into something BLACKER
Cheers Smile

Playing with your new D300 - lucky you, have fun and thanks again Smile
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
8 Dec 2007 6:46PM
Ballet, backstage, children....I'd love to hear how you get on. In the current climate you might be lucky to get away without getting tarred and feathered.
8 Dec 2007 11:13PM

Quote:Ballet, backstage, children....I'd love to hear how you get on

well..... it was ok Smile noisy, chaotic, cramped, but overall good fun
taking pictures of the littlest children helped keep them out of mischief while they waited to go on stage, and I have got soem fairly pleasing candids and portraits. Don't feel able to post them without parents approval though....
I have posted a group picture which appealed to me though
thanks for your interest, Merille

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.