Barn Owls

NEWMANP 11 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2016 1:02PM
we are in Heacham nr Hunstanton for a week soon and wondered if anyone has any tips on reliable locations for photographing Barn owls.
you can pm me if you prefer.
thanks
Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2016 12:40PM
How would you go about shooting Owls in the wild?

Is it hide setups near feeding grounds or nests.
Pre focus and flashguns to light the scene - how do owls respond to flashguns?

I ask as i'm ever the optimist and have installed and owl box at the back of the garden and advertised in on www.OwlZoopla.com Wink
User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2016 2:26PM
Barn Owls often hunt in daylight. They are also crepuscular (dawn and dusk) operators.

We would never use flash on a night hunting predator.... For obvious reasons.

Best bet is keep an eye on your box and surrounding trees at dusk, they usually perch before hunting.
NEWMANP 11 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2016 3:10PM
Jack,
observe perching and hunting patterns first visit then set up a little hide screen and hope. they tend to frequent the same perches and work a field / fen usually dawn or dusk. i would suggest keeping well away from the nest of any bird, particulary if there may be young around.
if its dark up the iso and meter manual due to the white body and fluctuating light when tracking. Forget the flash, it will look too harsh and im sure the owl wont be wearing Ray Banns

your box in the garden may be quite a long shot. possible if you regulary see them in that location but they do not usually nest in garden boxes. remote farm buildings or trees on the edge of a field are more likely.
Phil.
there are well known sites near Heacham / Thornham i just wondered if anyone had 1st hand knowledge down there.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.