Basic fps settings for timelapse

waigy 7 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 7:53PM
I'm filming a motorcycle restoration in 4k (25fps) on my lumix G80.
I have speeded up some parts 800 percent in davinci resolve.
To save on file size, instead of recording long 4k videos then speeding them up 800 percent, I want to use timelapse images to get the same final result.

What timelapse settings do I use ie. how many images taken per second, then how many images fit into 1 second when creating the final video in camera.
I reckon this is probably very simple to work out, but I'm struggling to get my head round it and haven't used timelapse before.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 8:51PM
The way to work it out is to think about playing back at 25 images per second and how many images you record.

Let's say that you recorded 250 images over the course of 10 hours. That 10 hours would play for 10 seconds at 25 per second til you ran out of unused images, (1 hour would be 1 second)

Let's say you took one image every second, after a minute you have 60 images, after ten minutes 600 images, after 100 minutes you would have 6000 images.

To work out playback times for those work out total images / 25.

Always take a few more than you might need, you can always speed it up (speeding up discards frames - when you speed up to 800% only one in eight frames is kept)

Is this enough to help you get your head around it?

Start thinking of videos as a load of stills. Think of a two minute video as 3000 images (120 seconds at 25 fps).

Usually taking one or two shots a minute is enough to show what's going on. Forget video modes, you are shooting stills, set your shutter speed to 1/50s, shoot the full frame, shoot raw if you know how to process it.
waigy 7 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2020 10:54PM
My sister figured it out. 25fps 800 percent speed = 3.125 images have to be taken per second.
So 3fps would be ok.
But my G80 doesn't have an option to shoot at that speed.
The fastest timelapse setting is 1 image per second.
In burst mode it could easily manage 3 fps but you can't set it to 3fps exactly only 2, 6, or 9fps.
Looks like it would have to be an intervalometer.
Would this camera be ok using an intervalometer to shoot at 3fps for maybe up to an hour?
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
16 Jan 2020 12:51AM
No sorry I've only seen intervalometers that work in whole seconds not fractions of a second. I've never known anyone shoot timelapses at such high frame rates.

I think shooting at that speed constantly (instead of the odd burst) will overheat the camera within an hour. You would end up with an hour of action sped up so that it lasts seven and a half minutes, that's not a timelapse, that's a fast forward button held down.

Seven and a half minutes is too long. An average commercial telling a short story with different scenes and events lasts 30 seconds.

Fast forward this video to about 1:30 when the timelapse section starts. Tell me you aren't bored after two minutes, (and that's 487 hours of work) imagine how many people would watch your 1 hour that lasted seven minutes...

sausage Plus
15 628 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2020 8:51AM
As others have said 3fps is very fast for a timelapse. - unless you work very quickly. For what you are doing even 1fps is fast. From what I have seen in motorcycle restorations it is a slow process, A couple of frames a minute would be enough I reckon.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 621 England
16 Jan 2020 11:16AM
How long do you want the video to last? That'll give you the number of frames you need to shoot.

How long is the restoration process going to take? Are you just documenting the assembly of the bike?

Then you can work out how often you need to take a frame. You can shoot more frames if you want to give you some flexibility.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.