Battery problems

bill_reed 5 4
7 Jul 2015 5:40PM
Hi I have a Canon 40d and just fitted a Canon BG-E2 grip and then fitted two new 3rd party battery, every time i touched any buttons the mirror flipped up.... took out the battery and tried the old Canon battery and everything works fine, only difference i see with the battery is the 3rd party ones are 2000ma where the canon one is 1390ma! anyone know why this is happening, does it mean that i can only use canon 1390ma battery's!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Jul 2015 8:07PM
First it would help if you said where in the world you are Grin

But WELL KNOWN and DECENT batteries, I use Hahnel, Ever Ready etc, in all my cameras inc my Nikon 810D and have rarely ever bought OEM
bill_reed 5 4
7 Jul 2015 8:29PM
sorry i'm in the UK, Scotland.
Willpower 9 499 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2015 8:38PM

Quote:First it would help if you said where in the world you are Grin

But WELL KNOWN and DECENT batteries, I use Hahnel, Ever Ready etc, in all my cameras inc my Nikon 810D and have rarely ever bought OEM

What an ignorant and unhelpful post this is.

I don't pretend to be able to answer the OP's question. But to to give such a flippant and UNhelpful answer as this is not at all in the spirit of this community.
With your "expertise" and long standing on the site, shame on you JR1
bill_reed 5 4
7 Jul 2015 9:00PM
the batteries that i'm having problems with are swiwei bp-511a... it had "Fully Decoded Version" and i wondered if that was what was maybe causing the problem. I really don't think it a problem with the grip or the camera as both work fine using a Canon single battery, have not found anyone else with this kind of problem and hoped someone could help.
thanks again.
8 Jul 2015 11:04AM

Quote:sorry i'm in the UK, Scotland.

I used to live in Invergordon lovely country
8 Jul 2015 11:05AM

Quote:
Quote:First it would help if you said where in the world you are Grin

What an ignorant and unhelpful post this is.

I don't pretend to be able to answer the OP's question. But to to give such a flippant and UNhelpful answer as this is not at all in the spirit of this community.
With your "expertise" and long standing on the site, shame on you JR1

1. NOTE Smiley face !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Should read "Buy" not But, duh guess I'm not perfect, my dyslexia sometimes is a pain !!!
8 Jul 2015 11:06AM

Quote:the batteries that i'm having problems with are swiwei bp-511a... it had "Fully Decoded Version" and i wondered if that was what was maybe causing the problem. I really don't think it a problem with the grip or the camera as both work fine using a Canon single battery, have not found anyone else with this kind of problem and hoped someone could help.
thanks again.

Bet there is someone here who could let you try a battery from a Canon, I will see if I have one today
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2015 11:08AM
Have you tried the 3rd party battery in the camera directly without the grip? I have used 3rd party batteries in grips before without problem (not 40D though). It is very strange issue.
bill_reed 5 4
8 Jul 2015 2:17PM
have ordered a second Canon battery so hope it just something with the 3rd party battery that the camera don't like. was just wanting to see if anyone else had had any problems in the past! like JR1 said, from now on I will use only well known branded battery's as i do like the 40d and don't want to put it at risk with cheep battery's...
thanks....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.