BBC

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
9 Feb 2020 12:03PM

Quote:! With a few notable exceptions, the programmes on BBC do not seem much better than those on the commercial stations
The BBC is good for news, Newsnight, documentaries and music. Its drama is, in my opinion, second rate and its comedy dire. Netflix and Amazon do the commercial stuff much better. BBC radio is the jewel, Radio 3 and 4.

The big problem for the BBC is that if it puts out garbage like Love Island, people like me say that commercial stations should be doing popular big audience stuff like that, not the BBC. If it puts out great programs (again, just my opinion) like the recent documentaries on black holes or Stuart Copelands's meaning of music series which have limited audiences, they are accused of putting out elitist or minority interest prgrams and why should everyone pay for that?

I can understand the government wanting to get rid of the BBC because Dominic Cummings hates them for their bias against the Tories but they were no better under Labour when Alistair Campbell hated them for their bias against Labour. Maybe governments should just arrest critics as they do in Russia and China. That would be popular with many people and solve the BBC problem for once and for all Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 15 17.2k United Kingdom
10 Feb 2020 7:53AM
Is anyone really interested in the Oscars?
Lots of really important health, political & weather stuff going on and BBC news want to show us 5 minutes of the pretty dresses.
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
10 Feb 2020 11:39AM

Quote:Is anyone really interested in the Oscars?

No, but the Oscars are an annual event with global interest and if it was only 5 minutes then I suggest not really an issue.
hobbo Plus
9 1.4k 3 England
11 Feb 2020 7:51AM
That...Sports Relief trailer is dire.... as is the Radio One, example.... the daytime drama is like something done in a village hall .....and..... can East Enders get any more miserable ?

bbc ? Pan!
Cephus Plus
15 2.5k England
11 Feb 2020 12:27PM
Turn the damn thing off!
hobbo Plus
9 1.4k 3 England
11 Feb 2020 12:34PM

Quote:Turn the damn thing off!

I do, often..... more often than not just lately.....

No more licence money...I say.....it just isnít the BBC as it used to be.
Cephus Plus
15 2.5k England
11 Feb 2020 3:56PM

Quote:
Quote:Turn the damn thing off!

I do, often..... more often than not just lately.....

No more licence money...I say.....it just isnít the BBC as it used to be.

I quite agree, too much cash is wasted on rubbish local radio stations and so called news correspondents being on location for no apparent reason.
dcash29 14 2.4k England
11 Feb 2020 6:40PM

Quote:
Quote:! With a few notable exceptions, the programmes on BBC do not seem much better than those on the commercial stations
The BBC is good for news, Newsnight, documentaries and music. Its drama is, in my opinion, second rate and its comedy dire. Netflix and Amazon do the commercial stuff much better. BBC radio is the jewel, Radio 3 and 4.

The big problem for the BBC is that if it puts out garbage like Love Island, people like me say that commercial stations should be doing popular big audience stuff like that, not the BBC. If it puts out great programs (again, just my opinion) like the recent documentaries on black holes or Stuart Copelands's meaning of music series which have limited audiences, they are accused of putting out elitist or minority interest prgrams and why should everyone pay for that?

I can understand the government wanting to get rid of the BBC because Dominic Cummings hates them for their bias against the Tories but they were no better under Labour when Alistair Campbell hated them for their bias against Labour. Maybe governments should just arrest critics as they do in Russia and China. That would be popular with many people and solve the BBC problem for once and for all Tongue

And keeping the ***** on BBC3 while terminating the red button.

However I dont know about news being good, the media has a lot to answer for with their opinionated reporting styles and censored information.
11 Feb 2020 6:52PM

Quote: the media has a lot to answer for with their opinionated reporting styles and censored information.
That's paradoxical. To know that reporting is being censored, you must have someone giving you uncensored information. In which case, what's the problem? Wink
Deiqkier 9 45 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2020 12:01PM
Why not-
State pays for News, Current Affairs, and factual programs ( before they disappear completely)
Adverts to pay for drama, entertainment and " comedy "
Trouble with BBC is that any decent programmes are soon stolen by those with fatter wallets.
12 Feb 2020 12:27PM

Quote:Why not-
State pays for News, Current Affairs, and factual programs ( before they disappear completely)
Adverts to pay for drama, entertainment and " comedy "

That sounds sensible. I wouldn't want the state as such to to pay for news etc, since that would put us in the same position as the Chinese and other authoritarian states. If there is an epidemic,we need to know, not have it hidden by some petty official somewhere.

Maybe a yearly subscription of £50 to pay for news and then a voluntary one to view entertainment without ads. I find that is my viewing anyway, except that I have to pay for the absurd costume dramas and childish 'woke' LGBT stuff that seems to grip the BBC staff.

I identify as BLT myself so I am not entirely unsympathetic but the Beeb do overdo it. .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.