Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

BBC The Planets.

altitude50 15 15.2k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2019 11:20AM
I have been watching the Planets series, one of the few programmes on BBC TV worth watching.

The expert Professor Brian Cox is very good at getting complicated ideas across, the photography and graphics are excellent. I can even appreciate appropriate dramatic music to set the mood.

BUT.
Why do they insist on adding impossible, in a vacuum, sound effects. Moons bumping together with a crash, deep rumbling and grinding of internal volcanic and seismic conflict, the whoosh of man made objects speeding past? It is a mystery................... Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
12 Jun 2019 12:11PM
I think that without the sound effects it might be less believable - obviously not for you - but I suspect that there are those who think the effects are 'real happenings'! And why spoil the illusion. But am always glued to Brian Cox's programmes - so fascinating and I begin to see why he thinks that we are likely to be alone in the Universe.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.1k 30 England
12 Jun 2019 3:17PM
His programmes are of a style. I like him and his explanations, but, Oh, the background music - too loud again.
brian1208 Plus
16 11.5k 12 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2019 3:25PM

Quote: I begin to see why he thinks that we are likely to be alone in the Universe.

I suspect there are plenty of intelligent beings out there, but they are sufficiently intelligent that they have no interest in contacting a bunch like the present representatives of the human race Sad

(Brian is not a bad presenter but gets a bit over-exposed now and then to my taste, there are some good female presenters I feel get a bad deal when it comes to this sort of programme )
Fma7 4 927 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2019 4:55PM

Quote:Oh, the background music - too loud again.

+100 for that

Actually, just the fact that it's there!

And Brian Cox isn't for me, his laboured, tortured speaking style is just too much. The Jamie Oliver of science.

SlowSong Plus
10 8.1k 30 England
12 Jun 2019 6:01PM

Quote:
Quote:Oh, the background music - too loud again.

+100 for that

Actually, just the fact that it's there!

And Brian Cox isn't for me, his laboured, tortured speaking style is just too much. The Jamie Oliver of science.

He does like a good gaze as well.
12 Jun 2019 9:25PM

Quote:
His programmes are of a style. I like him and his explanations,

Yup...clever lad...loses me frequently though...(doesn’t take much...Sad )

Sound effects in a vacuum..? technically, most probably right...but us human beans are used to sound..so don’t begrudge them being used for “effect”...

Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2019 10:26PM
An interesting series which I am following. I attended a lecture a few nights ago which was about Stephen Hawking's last book. They did say that, while there may be many planets like ours in the universe, the number which could support complex life would be fairly small. Recent new calculations indicate that about one other planet may exist with intelligent life as on earth. If this is true, the chance of us having any contact is extremely unlikely.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.