Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

best 35mm bw film for street photography

meyeview Plus
7 1.2k 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 9:10AM
i have just acquired an olympus OM-1n with a 50mm lens. the condition is incredible and begs to be used.
as an amateur street shooter i was wanting to go 'old school' and shoot some film.
strong contrasty black and white film is what i would like.
any shooters out there who can give me some help?
thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 12 9.4k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 10:44AM
Ilford HP5 is probably your best bet. If you are not processing it yourself, choose your lab wisely.....
arhb 9 3.3k 68 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 5:27PM

Quote:Ilford HP5 is probably your best bet. If you are not processing it yourself, choose your lab wisely.....

Have you had issues with any labs in particular, as I would like to know?
Happy to discuss by pm if you prefer.
arhb 9 3.3k 68 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 5:28PM
Kodak Tri-X would be the only other film I have used with good results.
dark_lord Plus
13 1.9k 399 England
20 Mar 2017 7:16PM
It depends on what one means by 'best' as different characteristics will be rated higher by different people so whatis best in one person's view won't be the same as another's.

As you have stated strong contrast as your preferred characteristic I'd second the two suggestions above. Classic filme of their type, ideal for the subject and very popular as I recall when that camera was new.

They are grainy (as far as I recall Tri-X is grainier but it's sharp grain) but that's part of their appeal, and again quite suited to your subject. Both push process well.

Fuji Neopan and Kodak TMax 400 are other SO 400 films but more modern emulsions, though you can increase contrast later if necessary when you print either from a scan or printing with a higher contrast grade if you print your own in a darkroom.

Either way, make sure you upload some results in the Gallery Smile
SlowSong Plus
8 6.8k 29 England
20 Mar 2017 7:28PM
I would say at least an ISO 400 whatever film you choose.
Paul Morgan 16 18.7k 6 England
20 Mar 2017 8:23PM

Quote:i have just acquired an olympus OM-1n with a 50mm lens. the condition is incredible and begs to be used.
as an amateur street shooter i was wanting to go 'old school' and shoot some film.
strong contrasty black and white film is what i would like.
any shooters out there who can give me some help?
thanks.

For me it was usually Ilford FP4 or Tmax 100 in good light or daylight, low light and at night a 400 ISO film, either Ilford or Kodak.

Remember many of these old camera`s are limited to a top shutter speed of 1/1000s.
Sooty_1 6 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2017 9:22PM
If you want B&W and strong contrast, I'd also suggest Kodak BW400CN. It's chromogenic (processed in colour chemicals) so can be bought and developed in high street labs, conveniently.

Nick
jembo 13 135 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2017 11:51PM
Why not shoot various films and see what you like Wink
pablophotographer 5 734 282
14 Apr 2017 2:54PM

Quote:If you want B&W and strong contrast, I'd also suggest Kodak BW400CN. It's chromogenic (processed in colour chemicals) so can be bought and developed in high street labs, conveniently.

Nick

I vote for the BW400CN but if I am not mistaken Kodak (momentarily) stopped its production a couple years now but cross fingers....
Agfa AXP100ISO for less contrast and if you live in a very sunny place

pablophotographer.

Its_Fozzy 2 9 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2017 6:54PM
I've been shooting street with a number of films lately, and I'm most please with the shots with Fuji Superia 200. Yes, colour film, then converted to B&W in Lightroom.
262056_1492192457.jpg

262056_1492192482.jpg

Snapper Plus
12 4.2k 3 United States Outlying Islands
14 Apr 2017 9:02PM
Ilford do a range of b&w films, including XP2 which is a C41 process like colour film. It will be cheaper to process than proper b&w film, if that makes a difference, and I've attached a photo below to show the type of result you might get. If you haven't got a processor nearby, I'd suggest using Filmdev who will process your film and email you the scans, which keeps the price down. You can get the negs printed to a bigger size later if you have some shots you particularly like. Filmdev process XP2 at colour prices, but you can see their proper b&w prices on their website for comparison.
29817_1492200094.jpg

Its_Fozzy 2 9 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2017 10:55PM
Snapper, that XP2 is looking very good, do you have that image posted as full size anywhere?
Snapper Plus
12 4.2k 3 United States Outlying Islands
15 Apr 2017 1:06AM

Quote:Snapper, that XP2 is looking very good, do you have that image posted as full size anywhere?

Afraid not Simon, but pm me your email address and I'll happily send you the full sized scan.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.