EPZ Exclusive: 20% off ALL fotoVUE books (use code EPZ at checkout)!

Best 60mm macro lens for Nikon D3300?

nikon version or

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
15 Jul 2018 11:00AM
If you want auto focus the Nikon AF-S provides it on a D3300. The Nikon AF-D does not.
thewilliam2 1 996
16 Jul 2018 10:40AM
In my experience, AF isn't needed for close-up and I switch it off so that I can choose the point of maximum sharpness myself. Macro lenses can also be used for general photography and the OP might want to have AF available for that.

Am I correct in thinking that the D3300 will only meter with AF lenses, be they AFD or AFS?
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
16 Jul 2018 1:32PM

Quote:In my experience, AF isn't needed for close-up and I switch it off so that I can choose the point of maximum sharpness myself. Macro lenses can also be used for general photography and the OP might want to have AF available for that.
Am I correct in thinking that the D3300 will only meter with AF lenses, be they AFD or AFS?

My experience is AF can be useful, though not essential if using a tripod for macro or near macro.

The viewfinder in the OP's "entry level" D3300 is not equal to that of more expensive DSLR's, probably increasing the desirability of AF for macro.

It seems exposure is possible with most lenses other than mainly over 30 year old pre CPU lenses.
The Nikon specification says "Non-CPU lenses can be used in mode M but the camera exposure meter will not function"
thanks for replies have a couple of macro lenses for my canon cameras but no good glass for nikon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.